Drug already being prescribed can slow or stop Parkinson's progress

A drug used to treat enlarged prostates may be a powerful medicine against Parkinson’s disease, according to an international team of scientists

Terazosin helps ease benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) by relaxing the muscles of the bladder and prostate.

But researchers believe it has another beneficial action, on brain cells damaged by Parkinson’s.

They say the drug might slow Parkinson’s progression - something that is not possible currently.

They studied thousands of patients with both BPH and Parkinson’s.
Their findings, published in the Journal of Clinical Investigation, suggest the alpha-blocker drug protects brain cells from destruction.

Parkinson’s is a progressive condition affecting the brain, for which there is currently no cure.

Ref. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49713407

Hi @frosty,

Thanks for sharing this information on the forum. We’ve also shared the news on our website which you can find here - https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/news/prostate-drug-shows-promise-parkinsons. The prostate drug now needs to be tested in clinical trials to see if it alters the progression of Parkinson’s, clinical trials are currently being planned in the US.

Professor David Dexter, Deputy Director of Research at Parkinson’s UK has also commented on these exciting results which you can read via the link above. You can find out more about drug repurpsosing means and take a look at some of the drugs in the clinical trials for Parkinson’s, here: https://medium.com/parkinsons-uk/trials-to-treatments-repurposed-drugs-ce76082e7330.

Best wishes,
Reah

1 Like

I will look forward to something coming of that

I have been put on 5mg tablets per day of this drug by my GP having seen this publicity and the fact that I was already taking a similar tablet for an enlarged prostrate but unfortunately to date I have not seen any benefits from it, anyone else taking this and if so what is your experience[

Yes frosty, I began treating my wife with Terazosin as soon as I read the reports. I cannot be sure that is what is working because I started 40 hz sound synced with light therapy at the same time. But, after 2 years of tremors, she now has none. She cannot tolerate Levodopa. So, her therapy is exercise, Terazosin, 40 hz sound, and light synced with the sound. So far it is working really well. Of course I do not know for how long she will remain symptom free. For now, it is working. I am grateful for that.

Hi FBMBoomer,
Please clarify what sound device you use and how I get one!
Like your wife I take Terazosin, exercise, use near infra red light and avoid Levodopa. But my tremor has not significantly improved. I want to add the sound therapy.
Many thanks for sharing.
Dave

I’ve been taking 5mg Terazosin per day for several months and I think my condition is improving. It is difficult to be sure as we have no way of objectively measuring Parkinson’s.

I’m noticing less significant ‘off’ states and sometimes none at all - which is significant. However, this is not absolutely a consistent phenomenon day on day.

I can’t believe that there haven’t been (many?) others who have tried Terazosin but there doesn’t seem to be as much interest as I thought - following the press late 2019.

Surely there are other adventurous souls out there!

Hi just this guy,
Am I the only one that got your joke😊

I don’t think I got it either???!!!

I’m not familiar with how the Forum works as yet so I’m not clear on what converstion is goiing where! Anyway, happy to expand on my original post if anyone is intersted.

Hi Smileytoo
The prostate has a function related to a certain activity. A certain word contained within the sentence used, summarises the climax of this.Hope this helps.
Titan

Hi @Smileytoo, :wave:

Welcome to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

I see you’ve already met one of our lovely community members which is great, I’m sure you’ll meet more members as time goes by. In terms of how to use the forum, we’ve created some introductory videos to help out news members, they’re only a few minutes long and you can watch them at your own leisure here: How to use the forum - Tutorial videos!

Aside from that, the forum is a great place to meet other people who share similar experiences to you so feel thread to go on the home age and explore the categories that may be of interest to you.

I hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Reah

I tried Terazosin but had to come off it due to low blood pressure.
I was unaware of any benefit.