Duodopa - NHS says no

aaah carlsberg spesh - i remember it welll. or do I????

seriously, several times i have been in trouble in 2 feet of water - but if you cant stand up, 2 feet may as well be 10 feet. 

cool

Hello T

I had a really great Uncle who was 2nd in command at Carlsberg UK,he was just the sort off bloke you need as a Uncle he was kind and generous (lots of free samples ) including super powerful versions of Cbergs very veryvery times 10, brewed in  secret  Special Brew,one of these potent samples was deemed as a little too hefty for consumption by the ordinary Eric so it was withdrawn, which was a pity one half of this golden nectar and within 10 seconds, NEAR EARTH ORBIT, I think E S A in competition with N A S  A and BAe won the bidding for the recipe. Uncle K as I said was a good bloke, my Aunt M lived near the Cberg Brewery in Northampton  and we would call in on the return trip from Fairford Airshow and stay a  while,he saved one of the company cars a V6 FORD CAPRI which he insisted I used while staying at the lovely,7bed 17 C thatched home,now this is a man who was raised by several  orphanages,plus aa borstal or two, he joined the R A F at 17 and trained as a airframe fitter,he quickly attained the very highest qualifications and the rank of Sergeant,his interest then turned to power plants, he worked on all the Piston Engined Fighters and all the services new jets,his experience brought Flight Sergeant, then MAcr ranking or Master Aircrew, Warrant Officer AKA, travelling the world, he was posted t LIBYA just as Mad Gadd evicted all Brits , he saw and took the opportunity  to leave the R A F and join Carlsberg, once again quickly climbing to almost the very top in the UK. K was travelling to work one summers morning when some brainless idiot went through traffic lights on red and ploughed into Ks  Grenada,he survived for eight weeks before a blood clot travelled from his mangled legs to his Brain, that was 81, or 80   you are born you live you die, the  cretin that killed him was unharmed and,, well I  DONT WANT  TO TALK ABOUT HIM

Kindest Regards  FED

i remember special brew used to make your ..... turn black ! fed remember thunder bolt strong!

I am very disappointed about this. I have been offered assessment for DBS but the prospect of that terrifies me. I considered that the option of Duodopa was like having a lifeline. Oh well, what can we do?

what is worrying about dbs if you request to have it done by southmead hospital bristol.you can have the whole operation asleep !

Hello Gus,

I think it's the prospect of being awake that scares me. I don't think I can choose the hospital, my consultant put me forward to John Radcliffe Hospital, so my consultations are with them.

give Bristol a ring or ask your doctor consultant

I might but I'm thinking of trying the Apo Pump first. Sorry for the delay. I'm not getting notifications of further comments on the thread.

hope all works out for you

Hello Leo

I have sent numerous posts on this subject to our Forum starting roughly march 2013, covering initial testing (successful) , the installation of Ddopa,and the time elapsed since which has been up and down,at first despite the rather weighty and conspicuous  general purpose CADD Legacy system of delivery to my small intestine I was given my life back and would say as a working model if  you were on efficiency parameters , for about one year I  would be 97 94 96% fluctuating, so very acceptable, results I think you will agree Leo in fact I was probably a more efficent human bean, as in HP sorry sorry Leo I just cant resist a bit of silliness, please ignore, then into the second year at first when I began my struggle to make sure BLACKHEART and his supporters Depression  Dyskinesia ,Distonia ,,plus crippling lower back pain and for  back up good old Prostate Cancer, did not  better me Leo, I would use the boost facility on the Dd, and as long as I remained vigilant I was 82 85 90% at preempting any incursions by PD  there was trouble with depression,, LEO IM POSTING NOW

I have reviewed and changed my Avatar every few months,my last one was me using trickeryy to allow a  view of the inside of my head, so I thought all and every, would be fed up with seeing my ugly mug so I was looking , on this POTLAP , at pictures from the year before my Dd op,and I chose this beautifuull llady as my new Avatar, my wife, Mrs FEDEXLIKE, if you liike,and at three years older than me in pretty good nick, life has not been easy over the years since diagnosis, and my dear wife has cared for me like a Angel, so no complaints, however the strain on both of us has been colossal, and things went a bit  mad on occasion,I have posted all on the forum for many reasons, the main one to warn of possible consequences of Dd  supplying anti parky  meds,ie  OCB, and its effects on relationships,,I have pointed out good and bad, sometimes very dangerous situations in which I have found myself, more so in the last  six or seven months, and now up to date Leo, despite BLACKHEART, we have beaten the demons sent via PD to wreck us a new extension on the back of our home built and landscaped in 3 1/2 weeks beloved is delighted and all is well, but my efficency varies from 10 35 78% now with severe instability and many falls,and of course I am comparing now to how I was post op,and its obvious I am becoming tolerant of Dd Leo, I will wait for your response  before going on though I think that covers everything, questions wellome..

Kind Regards               FED

hi fed

that is a lovely picture of your better half,they tend too be made of harder stuff than us men & dealing with us men & pd can be quite a toll on them but they seem to hide it very well ! so it doesn't go a miss when you tell  them , i would have fell at the first hurdle but my wife picked me up brushed me off ,on to the next fence of pd ,so i meet you at the finish line one day when we all beet this race .gus look forward to enjoying a good p--- up! 

Thats a affirmative my friend, im shutting down at thhis time so will contact in a while

FED

Hi Fed and others,

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. 

The NHS has recently consulted on whether to routinely fund Duodopa following pressure we exerted on them. We submitted very strong evidence to argue in favour of Duodopa being funded, using experiences that you have all shared so many thanks.

We are expecting the NHS to let us know their decision following the 26th June and will keep you all informed.

Thanks,

Leo

frown

Today, not good gus, started ok , but parky switched  me off about midday as the just when I had reached cruising hight? from then onward its a game of butt heads, I would lose ground then win some back, but even winning I am losing my friend as there were things to do, and this war diverts my attention, , still im on my feet Gus and intend staying that way, the reason being my eldest daughter Sarah  needs a reliable car to chase up job interviews so as she is so special to me I  have  offered to buy her a car as the money is just sitting there so it will be achieving some use as the way I feel now my future is not exactly bright,, how things will pan out , well  I wont break, I may be severely distorted and bent,, but not broken, over the years since 1999, I have developed a kind of armour Gus, a mindset armour if you will,so the harder parky hits the tougher I become, there are other elements of course,I am older and its not possible to turn the clock back,so Im stuck with a pig in my head,and unless I am sitting with the cure in my hand , I shall have that most evil guest until I move to the next dimension, so I have to deal with it, but I can still make my kids happy gus,and that makes me happy, watch this space my friend.

Kindest Regards     FED

2/7/2015 NHS England say YES.  

Fit aboot NHS Scotland/ Wales and Northern Ireland. Are we still not getting it. I feel a referendum coming on. 

I think in  Scotland you get it  if your consultant thinks you need it . If you are on facebook see the post on  Parkinson’s UK in Scotland  page 

Not sure of the Wales Ireland situation 

Hi Eck and Bethankit,

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have different health systems than England. We know that most people who need Duodopa in those countries get it, although there is no guarantee.

We are monitoring the situation closely throughout the UK and will take action if people with Parkinson’s in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland experience similar barriers that people in England previously faced.

If you have any problems accessing Duodopa in one of these countries please let us know on [email protected]

Best wishes,
Alethea
Digital Team

The Ddopa system worked well for about a year, but is now fading , some days it hardly works at all, and contributes only to depression,of which is hammering me  so bad at this time, I know Im in a fight  shall we say, I have not been capable of constructive thought dear friends hence the absence, but in words of Albert Einstein,, (  oooh I luv fish and chips ), so there is hope.

Will update later                  FED