DVLA Lisence Issues

Hi Lloydy, 

I was diagnosed last year. When I reported to dvla, like you the consultants assessments were required. I was sent forms and after 6 weeks given a 3 year licence. No test needed. You can continue driving while waiting. 

Hi , 

Just in the process of applying for a new licence.  As my doctor has assured me that I am fit to drive and will be providing that information to DVLA  , should the process take longer than expected and my licence expires  I can still continue driving whilst investigations continue.

Section 88 of the road traffic act, 1988.  

A good reminder Divine R x

Good luck Teehee, I'm sure it will go smoothly. 

Hi DivineR

Thanks for the info that I can continue driving while waiting as I'm sure these things can take quite a while and I would be lost (no pun intended) without my car.

Regards

Yes about 6 weeks and a bit of back and forth with forms. 

I was issued a 3 year licence when I was diagnosed in 2011. When it was due for renewal I had to do a driver assessment.

I passed and my licence was issued for another 3 years.

Another 3 years on and my licence is up for renewal again but this time DVLA want me to have a medical which takes about 30 minutes (according to the GP's receptionist)

Has anyone else had this? Can you tell me what happens during the medical 

Thank you

I personally would contact dvla and ask them to explain the procedure to you.  

Hope it goes well for you.

Caroline I have not had to go through what you are and I was diagnosed in 2011 too.  The first time I just went to see my GP to verbally confirm that I was still fit and safe to drive.  Recently I had an appointment with a Neurologist at a hospital and my wife was with me to confirm that my driving has not deteriorated in the last three years as she would not be in the car with me and got him to write accordingly to my GP.  I am 64, where as if your picture is current, you are considerably younger than me and being made to jump through hoops.  I just don't understand or get it, crazy !!

Spoke too soon, had my Driving Licence Renewal through to-day and they are asking if I have had a driving assessment done in the past three years.  To tell the truth I haven't had one in six years and they are asking for permission to view my medical records and my GP and Consultant contact details plus there is a questionaire about my medical condition.  If the truth be known, the only thing stopping me from being a lorry driver is the physical side of the job and the paper work and all the courses which involve writing.  Driving a lorry would be no problem to me but we will see.

Hi Cruise controller.

I'm 59 and the picture was taken a couple of years ago.

The medical turned out to be a five minute conversation with my GP as he ticked a few boxes on a form! A couple of weeks later I received my new licence ! All that worrying for nothing.

I wonder what criteria they use to decide what they are going to make you do each time?

Still, that's me set for another three years !!!

Caroline 

Sorry for not getting back sooner but I haven't been on here for a while but thank you for taking the time to respond.  No doubt my medical will be the same, I don't go to see the Doctor unless there is something wrong.  As for the criteria, who knows ?  We will cross that bridge when we come to it.  As it stands I can drive while this is all happening which is something.  Take care, speak soon.

Hi,   I must be the lucky one, I have never had a medical  for a driving licence even the first one after diagnosis. Diagnosed in 2008/2009, since then I have had 2 three year renewals and the last time I was most surprised because I had been given a five year renewal.

The worst part  waiting to see what the DVLA are going to do, whether they will give a new licence or not. I would be most upset if it was not renewed anytime.     

Sharon

Hi Sharon I haven't been for a driving assessment either, I was DX in 2011 but had symptoms in 2010. The licence I have at the moment runs till December 2018, but I'll know for myself if and when I do get to the stage where I will have to give up driving, but till then I will put up a fight if the DVLA do try to stop me.

Sheila

My licence should have been renewed on 26th November so I chased up the week before to make sure they had received the information from my GP which they had.  My case has now been passed to their panel of Doctors but in the meantime I am permitted to drive(I am coming up 65).  If I wasn't safe my wife would not let me drive or have the keys for that matter !!  So, the wait goes on.

Hi Gary
I read your post with interest I also in late 2016 truthfully answered their questionnaire ticking the boxes in the affirmative for freezing episodes and for slowed reaction times. The result was a letter of revocation of my licence with a codicil that the only way that the DVLA would açcept a future licence application from me was if I could demonstrate my condition had either improved and or stabilised to the point where I met the medical standard for driving. Like you, I underwent dbs in march of this year, and this has been successful for me also and I feel confident that I am able to drive safely again. I contacted DVLA with a completed application plus the relevant form for people with Parkinson’s Disease completed wherein I wrote details of all my treating professionals and thought that would suffice. No, I get a blanket refusal letter from the DVLA saying I had failed to send medical evidence supporting my case and that they were unable to consider an application until I did this. When they revoked my licence it was due to their “investigation” they had “received information” that my condition for which I have to add I had previously told, them about and was on a 3 year licence. So, I naively “assumed” that the details I provided in relation to my treatment people would mean that they would “investigate” as previously and I imagined them contacting members of the team at addenbrookes hospital or my neurologist at the Norfolk and Norwich hospital who I hope would back me up in my application. What I realise now is that my honesty is what cost me my licence in the first place and not any “investigation” by them. I could have quite easily lied on my renewal application in 2016 but having also lost my only brother to an inconsiderate drunken driver many years ago, I was truthful to my own detriment as I would not want through my illness to put another family through what mine we through some 34 years ago. And the same premise applies in my application to the DVLA to reinstate my licence, namely that if I did not feel confident that I am now since my dbs surgery, able to drive safely, then I would not bother to reapply. I am not sure what I can do now to get a licence, but like you Gary, I live in an isolated area with limited public transport and although I have recently bought an electric bike it is not the same freedom that one has when able to hop in the car. Any advice welcomed.
Peter