DVLA Lisence Issues

Hi Kram,

Sorry to hear you're without a driving licence at the moment. If you feel fit to drive you should re-apply to the DVLA and include a covering letter explaining why you should have it reinstated. THEY will decide if you need to take a driving assessment course or not. Why does your consultant want you to take an NHS driving test? Does he think you'll be unsafe on the road and has he ever driven with you? Is he a qualified driving instructor as well? The report that he sends to the DVLA (which they'll request), should be about your medication and any side effects it may have that would cause you to be a danger to other road users. It's up to the DVLA to decide from his factual report, whether they want you to do a driving assessment course. You are entitled to see a copy of the report that your consultant sends to the DVLA by the way.

Unfortunately, all this will take time, but if you feel fit to drive, it's worth fighting for. I wouldn't pay out £90 for an NHS driving test, (which I've never heard of), as the DVLA probably won't accept this anyway and insist you take their own driving assessment course, if necessary.

I went through a 3 month process of getting my licence back, so it can be done. Mine was renewed for 3yrs. in the end, without taking a DAC. So much depends on a positive and correct report from your medical health carers though. Mine, sadly sent old, inaccurate information about my condition the first time!

Good luck and let us know how you get on. 

Have suspected PD, seen by consultant, had blood tests, and awaiting scans. I won't be seeing the consultant for final diagnosis for at least another 4 months. Do I need to inform the DVLA now, as I did for Diabetes  controlled by tablets or wait until the final diagnosis? 

Hi Alan, I didn't have to inform dvla until final diagnosis and the consultant said I had to inform them. I wish you all he best though with your scans. 

Thanks, thats a great help, thought it would have been the same as when I had to inform them that I was diabetic

I agree that you don't need to tell them until it is a confirmed diagnosis

sad faceHello all  youse ?

Hello all, I was typing  a postemphasising the  the sheer bloodymindedness when dealng wifth the DVLA,for Instance my mode fof employment was HGVs of  all classes, ADTs up to and including 40 to 50 ton  Volvo ,  Komatsu Doosan Caterpillar and, Deer,off road Artic Dump Trucks,360 Excavators 40 tonCAT  down to the little 7/ 5.1/2 ton KUB, or Kubota, the latter being the most pleasant to operate,then we have the loading  shovels both tracked and rubber tyred  the big Komatsu wheeled Loader is a excellent piece of kit and a 12 to 14 hr shift on this brand  new ergonomically excellent machine seemed  to fly over and it was possible to load a 30ton8wheeler in  two passes, now you  it may wonder why I am giving you all  this boring info and I suppose if it seems like boasting well yes it is and when I tell you  it took  me nearly 30yrs to accumulate the 16 licences of which I was very proud and 36hrs for the DVLA to revoke them and this was the most rapid communication  I have ever had, so 36 hrs after I INFORMED THEM i had parky as if by magic my much prized documentation was not worth the card they were printed on

FED

n

That's terrible!   There seems to be two different reactions from the DVLA from what I've seen on here....

(1) follow the process of requesting info from your Neurologist while the licence stays in place  and then given a 3 year licence     (my experience)

(2) remove licence immediately !

Hi all

I'm new on here but would like advise please. Posted this earlier on wrong forum but think I'm on right one now.

I was diagnosed last year at the age of 43 (had symptoms a year before) Parkinson's effects just my right side of my body but was told I had to inform dvla. I informed them and after ten months of hearing nothing I receive a letter saying I need to take this driving appraisal. This would be okay if it was at my local Skegness dvsa centre but my Parkinson's nurse seems to think I will have to take it in Hull? This is nearly 2hrs away from me and I've never driven in Hull in my life. I took my test in Skegness 27yrs ago and there is no way I can do this appraisal in a city that I've never been too. All I need my licence for is to drive to my parents, my local town for school runs, I live in a rural area and with my dad dying of terminal cancer and only having a few months to live this is extra worry I could do without. It says I have to either surrender my licence or take appraisal but if it's held in Hull there is no way I could do it. Does anyone know about where these appraisals are held at and How bad they are?

It's odd talking to someone lying on their side! xx

Hi Tlw44

Don't know if different districts have different rules for driving, but I'd have thought it would be the same everywhere, I've not heard of this before. I was DX at 57, informed DVLA, and they sent me a licence for 3 years, then I had another one for another 3 years after that. Don't know whether it might be worth phoning the Medical team at DVLA  asking why you have to do this, telling them what meds your on, and if a letter from your GP or Neuro saying that you are still capable of  driving would be acceptable, it's worth try!

Good luck - Sheila

Hi Sheffin

I've not had notification back yet, it was my Parkinson's nurse saying she thinks it's in Hull. I'm not sure why I have to do this but if I rang medical team would they tell me why? I did ring them asking if I could still drive up to appraisal and she told me I had a full licence and I'm fine to drive. Just seems unfair.

Thanks for your reply

Tracy

Hi Tracy,

Read your original post with interest. Earlier this year, I had my licence revoked by the DVLA, but appealed and got it back 3 months later.

The question is, do you yourself feel that you're safe to drive? If the answer is 'Yes', then I would write to the DVLA explaining how you feel and get a letter of support from your neurologist or PD nurse to send with your letter. Explain what meds. you're on and if you suffer NO adverse side effects, stress this strongly! They may review your case and not make you take the test. Anything's worth a try. Whatever happens, the test is not too bad, I'm told. People who've done it say the examiners are very helpful and it's not like a proper driving test!

Good luck.

Twinks.

Thank you for the advice Twinks, I will try and contact my PD nurse tomorrow and ask her for a letter. I'm more than okay to drive as long as it's in my local area I wouldn't want to drive in a city but that has nothing to do with having Parkinson's. If I have my appraisal at my local DVSA centre then I would be fine

Thanks Again

Tracy

Hi I've been on a 3 year licence since 2007. During that time I've been driving ok albeit that I've reduced mileage and my wife normally does the longer journey's. My licence had been renewed without much delay or issue up until last last October when I underwent DBS. Following my operation which was successful and improved my symptoms I notified the DVLA and 12 months later I'm still waiting. My licence has actually expired now but they say I can still drive under the provision of the Road Traffic Act as long as I've not been told not to drive by a doctor.

It seems that aside from workload in the Drivers Medical Group there is the appearance of a change in attitude to licence renewals. True or not I don't know but on joining the forum I was surprised to see how active this thread is. I'll let you know how I get on.

Hi Newsreader, welcome to the forum. Seems it's pot luck where driving licences are concerned.......no consistency whatsoever from all the posts on here! Hope you hear from the DVLA soon and that it's good news. 

Where was your picture taken.....it looks familiar?

Twinks.

Hi Twinks thanks for the comment. The pic was taken in Devon on the South West Coast path, near Dartmouth if I remember.

Devon eh......well that's not where I was thinking then! Looks just like a place in North Yorkshire. Different end of the country!! Lol

HI,  just wondering if anybody can answer a quick (and possibly dozy) question - my three year licence runs out in January - if I don't get a reminder from the DVLA  soon,  can I just fill in form PK1 again and send it in?  Thank you. j: -)  

Hi Jackson,

It might be worth giving the DVLA a call and checking in if your reminder doesn't turn up soon?

The number for medical enquiries is 0300 790 6806 - Monday to Friday, 8am to 5:30pm, Saturday, 8am to 1pm.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Joanne - Digital team. 

Yes thank you, that helps.  J

Aged 72, recently diagnosed with PD and started medication 3 week ago so notified my car insurer (Direct line) and DVLA.

Direct Line lady said I didn't need to notify them as they do not take it into account "on their rating system" and my premium "wouldn't be affected by my condition", I expect that, in their view, if the DVLA finds me fit to drive they are happy to insure me. Good News!

DVLA is writing to my consultant to asses my fitness to drive and I sort of expect to have to take a driving test. Living in London and driving most days a test doesn't really worry me but I will have to watch my under-my-breath swearing at other motorists.

Lloydy