Early Onset PD

Hi to everyone. My name is Lucy and I have Early Onset PD. I am 34. I was diagnosed three years ago. I take Rasagiline and I try to keep active with pilates, yoga, following Zumba/HIIT videos online from YouTube and when the lockdown ends I hope that I can go back playing tennis (badly!) once a week. My symptoms are stiffness and slowness on one side. I also get headaches and feel dizzy and get double vision sometimes. I tried ropinirole but it didn’t suit me. I work full-time but often get fatigued. I hope everyone is keeping well and maybe got something relatable from this post.

Welcome @lucy_lane, this Lockdown isn’t doing any of us any favors but we plod on !! I am hoping that Boris sticks to the plan and doesn’t rush things like so many want him to do as I for one can see another Lockdown coming if selfish people disobey the rules like so many do. I hope you do get back to playing tennis, at least you will be out in the fresh air and enjoying what you love. Like i’ve said to others on this Forum, check with your GP Surgery to see if you have got a Parkinsons Nurse in your area. If not then get in contact with your Consultants Secretary and explain your problems to them to try and get them resolved. Have a good weekend, take care and stay safe.

Les

1 Like

Hi Lucy. My husband was diagnosed last year at 44. He suffers from terrible fatigue. He hates having to take a nap. His tremors have gone from only being in his left arm to his left leg. Night time is the worst and he wakes up very stiff and sore. He is currently on madopar 3 times a day and is waiting on a letter from his neurologist so he can get slow release madopar to see if it helps. He goes walking most days and does the stretches his physio gave him. Its a bit scary as to how his symptoms have progressed within a year but we keep positive and plod along. He is lucky that he can work from home and can take breaks when needed. It’s an awful disease but a good attitude and plenty of support goes a long way. Keep smiling and you will soon be back on that tennis court x

1 Like

Hi @lucy_lane welcome to this forum. I am 51 and was diagnosed in 2019, I consider that early onset, just. :joy:

Please consider joining our zoom calls (if you haven’t already), there was only 6 of us last time. See this thread:

Contact @Sungover for the link.
Cheers

1 Like

Hey Lucy, welcome to the forum, newly diagnosed and I thought I was unlucky to get it at 43 but in your 30s is tough. You sound like you’re approaching it well with your exercise. There’s some good boxercise exercises on YouTube on the Parkinson’s care and support uk channel. I’ve also downloaded a tai chi course on Udemy which helps with the anxiety of my situation, well it does until I get frustrated my left arm doesn’t do what I want it to! Not long till you’re out playing tennis again, that sounds great exercise for PD.

1 Like