Face tingling

hello

can someone please describe what the facial parkisons mask and facial changes feels like

I am heading to the neuro appointment for parkinsons review and have been getting spasms in my face and tingling and numbness

apart from when its spasming and its all twisted, you cant see any changes

thanks

Hi @ELO59, :wave:t5:

I’m sure you’ll receive some helpful comments from community members soon; but in the meantime, we have some information on Parkinson’s mask on the Parkinson’s UK website..

We spoke to nurse Linda about what Parkinson’s mask is which I hope you’ll find both informative and reassuring.

Best wishes,
Reah

ELO59 describes the following symptoms: Spasms in face…Tingling, numbness…Twisted.
This sounds like drug side effects to me . You can check what it saYS ON THE PATIENT information leaflet of any drug you may have been taking or look the drug up online for more detail.

Levodopa Side Effects Medically reviewed by P.Thornton, Last updated on Jan 1, 2023.
Nervous system: Common (1% to 10%):
Dyskinesia (twitching, twisting, uncontrolled repetitive movements of the tongue, lips, face, arms, or legs)

SINEMET Generic Name: carbidopa-levodopa Medical Editor: John P. Cunha, Last updated on RxList: 4/26/2023
side effects include:
uncontrolled muscle movements in your face (chewing, lip smacking, frowning, tongue movement, blinking or eye movement),
numbness or tingly feeling,
greatly increased eye blinking/twitching,
or worsening of involuntary movements/spasms.

The most common adverse reactions reported with SINEMET have included dyskinesias, such as choreiform, dystonic, and other involuntary movements,

Nervous System/Psychiatric: extrapyramidal disorder [akaTHISIA, DYSTONIA, tardive dyskinesia & parkinsonism}… blepharospasm (which may be taken as an early sign of excess dosage; consideration of dosage reduction may be made at this time), trismus, increased tremor, numbness, muscle twitching,

Movement disorders: a brief practical approach to diagnosis and management DJ Burn J R Coll Physicians Edinb 2006; 36:331–335
The broad definition of patients into those who move too much (hyperkinetic disorder) or too little (hypokinetic or akinetic-rigid disorder) is relatively straightforward… Always consider drugs, both past and present, as a potential cause for the movement disorder. …A complete list of medications previously taken by the patient should be obtained from the general practitioner, if necessary.

The Most Bothersome Aspects of Off Periods Reported by Individuals with Parkinson's Disease - PMC
The Most Bothersome Aspects of Off Periods Reported by Individuals with Parkinson’s Disease L.M.Chahine, B.Edison, M.Daeschler, S.Mantri, S.Kahl, R.Rapoport, A.Goyle, C.Precht, C.Kopil, and C.Marras, Mov Disord Clin Pract. 2020 Apr; 7(3): 284–292.
Sensory/pain : Tingling throughout body, tingling in face, numb lips, tingling/crawling creepy critters on my arms/face/legs, feels like electricity runs intermittently through my arms and legS

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/233909355_Facial_bradykinesia & select download
Facial bradykinesia Bologna M, Fabbrini G, Marsili L, et al Jnl. of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry 2013;84:681-685.

One of the most distinctive clinical features in PD is hypomimia, a reduction or loss of spontaneous facial movements and emotional facial expression. Bradykinesia refers to the slowness in executing simple and complex voluntary movements, whereas hypokinesia and akinesia refer to a reduction in amplitude or loss of voluntary and spontaneous movement, such as reduced arm swing and decreased stride length, or slow reaction time.…

Below an earlier post of mine describing beginning of my movement disorder:

Appletree Visionvalue Aug '19
I only had blepharospasm following an anti-emetic [Domperidone]. Then my gp gave me Sertraline which I only took for 13 days followed by 2 days of Amitriptyline. Over the next few months my gp noted: “tightening of muscles and neck, very jerky breathing, involuntary movements in eyes, mouth, neck, pins and needles, pain and spasms around jaw and facial muscles causing difficulties with speech”

I had this. At one point my mouth was pulling across to one side.

My Parkinsonism (which was confirmed by a DaTscan) turned out to be caused by a spinal CSF leak. The face problem was caused by pressure on a cranial nerve from brain collapse.

I’ve seen quite a few posts that fit with my symptoms, and wonder how many more pwp have CSF leaks as the cause.

I still have parkinsonism but am very much improved after treatment to stop the leak in my spine.

1 Like