Forum Shorthand

As I think of shortened versions of words to make life simpler, I'll put them on here. In no particular order. Please join in, everyone! Let us know if any are unclear.

PD
PwP
ASAP
rqd
pls
c
u
l8r
meds
DA
neuro
GP
OCD
ttfn
Good idea , Ray.
Only one that occurs to me at moment is

dx
I hate PD as it stands for Parkinson's Disease.It is the disease bit I dilike.Makes John sounds as if he can go round infecting people.
I must agree with E.C.D that that i can cope with just parkinsons but not disease.how about shorthand parkinsons

PS

dont know wheather you all agree!
Ok, I'll replace PD with PK for Parkinson's.
Revision 1:

PK....Parkinson's
PwP...People with Parkinson's
ASAP..As soon as possible
rqd...Required
pls...Please
c.....See
u.....You
l8r...Later
8....."-ate", eight
4.....For, for, four
2.....To, too, two
1.....Won, one
meds..Medicines, medication
tabs..Tablets
DA....Dopamine agonist
neuro.Neurologist
GP....General Practitioner
OCD...Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder
ttfn..Bye for now
dx....Diagnosed
1st...First
2nd...Second
min...Minimum, minute
m.....Minutes, months
max...Maximum
hr....Hour
h.....Hours
d.....Days
mth...Month
mthly.Monthly
dly...Daily
wkly..Weekly
y.....Years
w.....Week
wks...Weeks
yly...Yearly
pa....Annually
sec...Seconds
ps....Per second
pm....Per minute, per month
pd....per day (and nothing else!)
extensive list ,Ray

thought of 2 more:

t.d.s. - 3 times a day
O/h - other half. ie husband, wife , partner. Don't like the term particularly, but useful abbreviation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
have you been writing your book 2 nite, munching your prawn cocktail crisps !
This is pretty thorough, Ray!

Just one thought: I wonder whether having a series of abbreviations could be off-putting to people who are new to the forum or are taking a look to see if they want to join.

It would be good to know your thoughts on how we could ensure that new users find the forum accessible while keeping things as simple as possible for current users.

Any ideas?

another for the list :

thnx -- thanks.
Maybe newbies could receive on registration an automated welcome message from the forum administrator advising them how to use the forum and also explaining that abbreviations are sometimes used in forum posts to aid people who are experiencing problems with typing.
I have just clicked on forum help - maybe abbreviations could be mentioned in this section.
Good grief! have a heart!:cry:

Its bad enough that I have to focus my bleary eyes to read what's on the screen, tussle with spellcheck to unravel my muddled spelling, reach desperately into the innermost depths of a befuddled brain to string a sentance together, stop my uncontrollable fingers from clicking my mouse when its not required to do so and use every inch of my failing willpower to make my frozen fingers hit the right keys!!

Now you're asking me to learn a new language as complicated as Esperanto.

Yeah right! :imp:
1 Like
I am with you Tootsie lets be sensible and use the ones that are obvious to most people. Also not too many in each posting.ttfn
1 Like
Thanks for making me smile Tootsie :smile:
lol - does it mean lots of love of laugh out loud

then there is lmao - which I had no idea the meaning of. I've since found out it means laughing my as* off :fearful:
I agree, to avoid confusion it's best to stick to the well know ones.
It's fun making them up though :wink:
Gr8 idea to have an abbrev list! Im stiil trying to get my head round txt speak!:confused:
Hi.

I had only intended to use commonly used abbreviations already in use, mainly for newcomers' benefit. However it seems to have worried as many people as it may have helped, so I think I'll drop the idea.

R.
Aw gee whiz, Ray. No need to come the raw prawn with me. Waz only pullin' ya left one. Fair go mate. Only havin'ya on.
OK?
:grin: