Get to know Fighting Fit

Get to know Fighting Fit

Fighting Fit is the brainchild of a small group of passionate working-age people living with Parkinson’s and one partner who are supported by healthcare professionals, neuro-physiotherapists and experts in related fields.

The organisation was established in 2018 specifically to support younger and working-age people with Parkinson’s by providing a weekend residential programme of exercise, information and friendship.

Through a carefully balanced blend of exercise, information sharing, skills development and discussion, the programme will help you develop a personal plan to make changes to your everyday life in order to live well with the condition.

The programme is facilitated by active people living with Parkinson’s and delivered by a range of multi-disciplinary experts. It runs from Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon in the Holiday Inn hotel at Western Turville near Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire.

Over two full days the programme combines rest and relaxation with a variety of exercise and other stimulating activities and discussions.

There are currently spaces available to book on the July and October 2019 edition of the programme so if you are interested in learning more about Fighting Fit or attending the programme, please visit their website here - https://fighting-fit.org.uk/programme/.

1 Like

Tanks s I will look into it though my meds do liottlemform me so spend most off and not able, to talk as. Simemet effects,my voice,im,inaudible most of the day I’m lookingmform somewhere,that could accomade my issues and,help,improve them
Blessings
Janet Cain

Anyone done this?. By most people’s standards I am still very fit an active, but pissed off that I am not as good as I was. I don’t want to go if it is encouraging people to get off the couch, as I already do that…

I was fortunate enough to be part of the pilot attendees for this Fighting Fit program last November and can not recommend it highly enough. It was well run and so interesting. A place to relax and share stories and experiences with other younger Parkies and I made some valuable friendships and contacts. I am happy to support ongoing events and would encourage others to sign up and join in. Together we can manage this condition and enjoy life to the full

1 Like

I was on the pilot FF weekend in November 2018 and it’s one of the best things I’ve ever done. Like you i already did loads of exercise so i wasn’t sure how it would benefit me. What it did do was introduce me to new exercises that i probably wouldn’t have entertained previously…
There were some very valuable workshops about living with and managing the condition. But the biggest benefit of all for me was making friends and sharing stories with other people with the condition and seeing how positive they all were.

I’ve signed up to getting involved with supporting future weekends and i would recommend them to anyone. If anyone wants to know anymore about the weekend’s itinerary I’ll be happy to talk to you about it …

1 Like