Hello I am new

Hello my name is Paul I was recently diagnosed with Parkinsons in November

Just joined the forum yesterday was not sure were to introduce myself so hope this is right place

I went to my doctors because I was shuffling he told me before I even saw the neurologist that he thought it was Parkinsons

I hope I can gain more insight in to what to expect and of course learn and help others look forward to communicating

Its an online world but so very useful...................Paul

welcome paul,im gus i have had pd for 8yrs im 42yrs old and still going strong. well medium.

Welcome Stormforce to this online world. Indeed it's useful, and I hope we can help you - and learn too.

Best wishes

Semele

Hi Paul

welcome to the forum , im Michelle i was diagnosed with pd in August at 47 yrs old , i am sure you will find the forum useful and the members very supportive

Thanks for the replys its really nice to hear from you

I have the book about parkinson's from the neurologist

I was wondering is there anything else i should be reading from the helpline

Paul

hi paul are you from sunny  weymouth. i see the clock, i live in weymouth

Hi Gus

No I am from the Wirral but I go to Weymouth every year I think its a really nice place the people are great and it feels laid back like your not in a rat race been going for 8 years Merrry christmas to you all..........Paul

Glad you like it,what do you think of the new green laser lights

what to read?

1) what not to read - descriptions of final stage pd, carers forum - concentrate on now not on what might happen decades from now if at all

2) everything about your medication or potential meds/ops.  including information written for doctors

3) nutrition, exercise etc - this is something in your control, puk's own publications are probably the best

4) don't waste lot of time  on the causes of pd, it can't be undone

5) if you want to follow scientific research closely, a basic book on neurology is useful

just my personal opinions

cheers

Hi Stormforce (you've been a bit a bit busy this week, haven't you, with all those gales?)

Agree with Turnip's reading list. Except I *would* read carers' forums. For most of us, carers are our family, and personally I want an insight into what they're going through, especially with my mood swings. I can't promise to be better and give them less pain - but like Bart Simpson, I can promise to try to be better.

Semele

Thank you for your replys I appreciate what your saying about living now and not decades down the line

its good advice and yes it cant be undone well not yet anyway but who knows in a few years with research

Yes Gus I did see the green laser lights there excellent

I am also shuffling and shaking . Very stiff muscles. Body slowed up, though I believe in exercise.

family noticed over Christmas, hope to see my gp next week . Hope to get more info, my dad and gran had parkinsons, but things have changed since dad died in 1993', not from pd 

Good luck for next week & happy new year western, & yes things have moved on from 1993 for the better!

Thanks a lot Gus for positive comments, I am usually a positive person ! This forum is great 

brenda

winkGood luck be lucky

My husband has pd for nearly 8  now. I have supported him as best I can. He had to go into a home as I couldn't give him 24/7 care on my own.  We have quality time now and he has  all his sense of humour. Life goes on but in a different way.

Hi Stormforce,

Seems a very apt name for the gales outside today,

I am Caroline and at age 55, I have been Dx now for almost three years

This disease / syndrome / condition, whatever you choose to call it, is an interesting and challenging one, different for everyone but still somehow the same in many respects.

I count myself extremely fortunate that I am still able to work full time, with a few helpful adaptations,I never expected that I would still be independent. I remember saying to my boss I may not be able to continue working for more than a year or two, but here I still am, a bit stiffer, a bit more clumsy but still working.

I have also discovered the body's way of helping to adapt, I find myself using my left hand without even thinking now, strange!.

Medication has always been a challenge for me, i am, it seems, very sensitive to PD medications and the first 18 months were a challenge but my neurologist eventually found a mix of drugs that has worked for me and no doubt yours will do the same for you, it may just take time.

A word or two of caution:

• never stop talking, it really does make a difference
  • always ask for help if you need it, we all need help sometimes
  • keep an eye out for uncharacteristic behaviour if on DA's (Hyper sexuality sounds fun but it wears thin, believe me)
  • Don't let the b...... grind you down.

a warm welcome.

Caroline

Hi Caroline Thanks  for your positive posting. I have now seen my gp, referred me immediately to see a neurologist. 

I also use my left hand a lot . Worse at moment is my feet , stiff ankle etc, not safe to drive at present , but won't give up. Can still play with grandchildren !r

Not looking forward to medication , side effects etc, but lots of choice now.

mum aged 87 and fit is very upset, having nursed my dad and gran with pd . Told her things have changed ! Husband is ok, will help but also let me be independent.

forum is great 

Brenda

My husband has pd 8 years in July.   We are going through it together. You will find no two people are the same. Try  to stay positive and carry on as if  pd is not controlling you. Difficult  I know. Each new day is  that day's challenge, yesterday has gone. The society is very helpful just pick up the phone.Sally

As I read through all the posts one thing strikes me......so many ladies, so few men.

Loads of you looking after Hubbies and Dads.

This tells me one of two things......either women are braver than men at talking about difficult subjects, or I'm going to have to learn how to knit and swap knitting patterns.

I won't express an opinion, you girls have it all sewn up.........note to self.....learn how to sew.

Morph.