Help and advice with bladder issues

Hi, my dad has been under investgation for Parkinsons/ism for over a year. He’s slowed down dramatically over the past few years. He’s been on sinimet for a year but there’s been no visual improvement to his stiffness/movement which we’d hoped for. His main issue for the last 6 months is the bladder. He has had a catheter since October and has had 2 serious infections (sepsis) which has left him scared to leave the house, scared to do exercise all to prevent the next infection. This in turn has made his stiffness worse as well as his mental state. 3 trials to remove the catheter have not worked as he keeps going into retention, urology tests have not been able to establish the cause so we are thinking it is a neurological issue. My dad is adamant he cannot cope any longer with the catheter so I would really appreciate advice or alternatives. As a family we don’t know who or where to turn to. Thank you

Hi there my Dad has also had endless infections with a catheter. Although not 100% successful we have found that a natural product called d mannose (sweetcures) has helped reduce the infections. I hope things improve for your Dad.

Hi @elenimrad,

I hope all is well.

I’m sorry to hear of your Dad’s distress. Have you tried contacting our helpline? If not, please give them a call as soon as you can so they can offer you and your Dad some support on this. Do give them a call on 0808 800 0303.

Also, if you haven’t done so already, I’d also recommend that you consult with his GP to explore any potential options they may have to treat his bladder issues.

Let me know what you think of the above and if I can do anything else to help you.

Take care,
Reah

Hi Seagyp5y,
This is so helpful, thank you so much! I’ve had a look into the D Mannose and will get some for my dad to try. I hope things go well with your dad too.

Hi Reah,
Thank you, I’ll call in for a chat.

1 Like

Has anyone ever suggest trying a sheath?

Was there a reason that they decided that a catheter was the only option?

Hi benji,

Unfortunately a sheath isn’t an option as he keeps going into retention when they try to take out the catheter.
Thanks

Sorry to hear that.
At a loss why a catheter was fitted in the first place as he is so recently diagnosed.

OH was fitted with a catheter within 24 hours of admission BUT the 3 main reasons for doing so were not applicable. I insisted that they remove it, and they did. Subsequent weeks on various hospital wards and the insistence of OH wearing pads and even a full nappy have resulted in our present situation.

It’s far easier for them to catheterise a patient than take them to the toilet!!!