Hypersexuality and Mirapexin

Hello,

I wondered if anyone can tell me whether the symptoms​ described here are linked to behaviour​ pre PD? Sometimes my lovely​ man seems a bit OTT, but I didn't know him before the diagnosis, so have no comparison​ point! Doesn't seem as bad as some of you describe, but...forewarned is forearmed!

Thank you!

If your man is taking Dan's they can cause excessive sexual desire that can be difficult to control. Also excessive gambling can happen check leaflets as to what group his meds belong to. DA's are all listed on this website under medications. BB xx
Yes, dopamine agonists cause OTT actions. I've long believed that this is due to the way they tweek (or twerk) the reward sensations. If it feels good all our carefully built protective inhibitions and self control dissolve, leaving us and those we love at risk. I have to say that if you're inclined to act a certain way DAs just let the devil inside loose so to speak. I'm glad I don't have the genetics to suffer the Menopause. However, when you know the future of your PD will leave you incapable, the urge to love your wife at any given moment since the day you met does make the Men On Pause rather frustrating resulting in coldish showers for both of us for completely different reasons. So for us, the DAs main impact is not to increase my urges (they have always been there) but plainly put, make me less able to stop being a pain in the ...... about it. That in itself comes across as being more over-sexed when it's more under-fullfilled for want of a more prosaic expression. The key is to listen to the feedback from your family and friends and to talk openly about how each of you feel. People with PD can openly admit to living life to the full while we still can. Those around us can't all have that luxury and having us going OTT will strain any relationship. Take care out there Pill Street Blues (sic)

Thank you BB, I had look at the information about medications​. He's on pramoxipole, seems I'll need to keep an eye on this! No gambling that I'm aware of yet but definitely​ a bit of furtive online behaviour. How hard is it to talk about this stuff!!Xx

Thanks Pill, guess I'd better hold on tight and try to keep up!!

You need to sit down together quietly and talk about this very topic openly. Not easy I know but needs must xx

Anyone suggest a good way into this conversation? I met my partner two years after his diagnosis, didn't know him well​ beforehand but diagnosis didn't matter to me because he's so much more than that. In past few​ months he has changed, but i worry that I'm not sure what is  personality and what's PD. I feel we're still learning about each other as a couple and now I need to become so much more if we're going to survive. I'm a bit scared and upset right now, his family​have been absolutely amazing but I can't keep going to them every time I feel like this. Would be grateful for advice​ if anyone​ has any thoughts on this xx

1 Like

The best way is to be very straight and to the point in a very matter of fact way. I personally would start by saying there is something that is giving me cause for concern I know it will not be an easy talk but there is no point in soft soaping the facts otherwise it will tear you both apart.

Hope this helps.

BB xx

Thank you for advice. Think you are right - straight talking necessary xx

Let me know how you go. BB XX

Weekend of family summit​s. Poor man is utterly exhausted with trying to explain and understand​ himself​. We still haven't got into financial issues​ let alone dodgy internet stuff, just the disappear​ing acts and lack of communication so far, but he has agreed to go back to neurologist to review situation​ so progress made. Worse thing was him admitting he gets confused when I'm not with him and that's when he runs, so sad for him, i have to work though​! I bloody hate this disease!

hi I have suffered 'the inability to resist the impulse to perform an action that could be harmful, which may include:

- strong impulse to gamble
excessively despite serious or
personal family consequences,'

I have been slowly reducing the pramipexole/mirapexin and I am now able to resist the impulse. 

The side effects of these da's have almost devastated me.  Please think twice and do your research before taking these drugs if you are offered them.  In my opinion they should no longer be prescribed.

1 Like

Oh Juju

I agree whole-heartedly.

Many thousands of PWP have had their lives ruined by these drugs.

it is 10 years since the Mayo Clinic published research showing 1 in 4 patients on a therapeutic dose of DAs suffered catastrophic impulse control disorders....1 in 3 of men under 50.

But profit and greed mean that drug companies and neuros carry on promoting/prescribing them and lives go on being devastated.

No legal challenge possible as they print a small, inaccurate warning in the leaflet.

How many more ruined lives?

GG

I carnt stand it anymore,go on go on,all that's done,no answers make my brain work,I just don't get it,I don't understand it all.Whats the difference between one and the other,whys my head feeling all scrambled up inside,please please someone explain the difference between them.

ingcool

Whats probably the  worse aspect of Hypersexuality in me  at least was I needed to explore sexual adventures with  my  dear  wife, now I have  to  say at  first  she was  very  in  fact  shockingly enthusiastic , well I dont need  to  go  into detail do I  just  say  everything, yes  everyhing,  you  name  it,  but  one rainy  Friday  we went  to this  club  and  she  was quickly  chatting to  two  attractive   22yr  olds ,  and  soon  they  were  dancing, and  I  feel like  a  pillock  dancing she looks  so sexy  so  the  more it  went  on  I  kNEW i  HAD to  act as  things  were getting  out  of  control, we were  asked back to a party but there were only three women and  30  blokes  so I  just drove  past  the  address and    that  was  not  the  first  time I had  put  my  lovely  wife   in harms  way, eventually she  sat me down and we  talked and talked we  were  both unaware  we  were  damaging  a  great marriage,  and 2 or 3 shocking  events  later I  stopped  the  HYPER  IN  ITS TRACKS, I  put  a really shocking  video on my laptop and  placed  it  where I  KNEW SHE  WOULD  FIND  IT,,,(she  did )  and  the pooh  hit  the fan,  she  was  so  disgusted  and  I also  that  I would  look as  such  filth  that  she  warned me  if  I DID  NOT  STOP  she  would  go, I  STOPPED  It  was  FED4s  ownd  brand  of  aversion therapy,  now  it  worked  for  me but it is  very  dangerous  your  partner must  be  willing  and  very  understanding  or  it  could  backfire  on  you.

I HAVE NEVER BEHAVED THAT  WAY  SINCE THE  HYPER IS   CAGED

FED4

Hi @karajaal,

A warm welcome to the forum. I can appreciate that acronyms can be quite tricky to understand if your new to the forum, although I’m not sure what “DA” strands for either. Can you let me know in what context it was used?

Just to help you out a little, here are few acronyms that you may come across on the forum.

PWP: people with Parkinson’s
OT: other half
PD: Parkinson’s disease
PN: Parkinson’s nurse
Meds: medication

We also have a ‘newly diagnosed’ section on our website which has a lot of useful information to help and support you. Feel free to check it out in your own time here - https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/newly-diagnosed-parkinsons. We also run information and support events that are specifically designed for people who are newly diagnosed with Parkinson’s which you can also find via the above link.

Lastly, if you have any questions about your recent diagnosis or about your medication, you can always contact our free and confidential helpline on 0808 800 0303 Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm or via email at [email protected].

Hope you find this useful.

Best wishes,
Reah - Forum Community Manager

DA stands for Dopamine Agonist. Medication usually given first to newer /younger onset people with Parkinsons (PWP). For example, Ropinerol. They usually help with muscular stiffness but have a reputation for having obsessive /compulsive side effects in some people.

1 Like

HI MAISIE WE HAVE BEEN THERE YOU ARE NOT ALONE ! The neuros reaction was not appropriate my husband came of the DAs gradually and the problem was solved without a catastrophic effect on PD symptoms Go to your gp or PD nurse and get further help another neuro if need be your man needs to be off the DA just like mine did HUGS xx

I have to say that since being on Azilect, Mirapexin and sinemet, that I have virtually no interest in all things sexual.
My wife and i (together 42 years) live more like brother and sister. We even have separate rooms.
As I am weaning myself off of these drugs I don’t feel any sexual urges returning.

Just having a flip through a few pages and saw your comments about the 3 meds. I have to say I still feel the need, nudge nudge. I have been married for 40 years and still find my wife a turn on. Ok we might not perform as often as we used to but it is just as enjoyable for both of us. I don’t think the 3 meds have done anything to stunt my sex drive.