Hypersexuality problems

Which drugs are considered responsible for the cause of hypersexuality problems?
This seems to be experienced by a member of my branch definitely not by me so I’m curious as to which drugs seem to make this happen this person have behaved inappropriately towards another member and a member of the public which has involved the police so it has been brought to my attention as a member of the committee I have to see to it that she is protected and he gets the help he requires as well. Appreciate any input thank you BB.

Ownership of this thread has been assigned to the forum Community Manager upon request .

Hypersexuality and other forms of excessive behaviour such as Gambling are associated with “Dopamine Agonists” and in particular “Ropinirole”. I take the latter myself but maintain a low dose whilst I carefully monitor my own behaviour. Gerrard

Must be inherent in his nature. It’s an easy getout to claim Parkinsons and attribute excessive behaviour to medication. Gerrard

Apomorphine is a Dopamine agonist and warnings are given to patients that side effects can include hyper sexual behaviour.
Your friend needs to be referred to his consultant or Parkinson’s nurse.
I am surprised that other Parkies did not know of the link , did not really research it and rushed to judgement.
Support would be nice.
Disappointed.

GG

1 Like

Hi all,

I agree with @goldengirl, your member should be referred to his GP or Parkinson’s nurse. We also have a lot of information on impulsive and compulsive behaviour on our website that will give you more clarification on this as well. You can find this info here - https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/impulsive-and-compulsive-behaviour

You can also give our confidential helpline a call on 0808 800 0303 for more support on how to approach this topic with the member you mentioned.

I hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Reah

Hello,Betty,I take Pramipexole,safinamide,and Madopar,and I don’t get any of the symptoms of hypersexuality,excess gambling or any of the exesses mentioned in the patient information leaflets that come in every box,jar or packet of medications for my pd,I always ask my wife if she sees me acting kind of funny to give me a gentle nudge to get me back to her level,maybe someone in your group should try giving him gentle nudge,bye.

Ok,I think you’ve done the right thing,but remember when you take these type of medications that help to replace dopamine back into your brain,if you have one,I don’t ,it’s the brain that governs you,and there’s not anything you can do about it,you think it’s natural because your brain says so,so he may be hyper in the way of sex ,but his brain’s telling him to be like that anyway you have to wait and see what happens to him now you’ve got the of people involved,let’s hope he can be changed,bye.

In an earlier posting on this thread, I made some observations relating to Hypersexuality and an individual who had behaved inappropriately to a member of the public and involving the police. My remarks met with some criticism from “Goldengirl” and agreed by “Reah”. I have hesitated from re-entering the fray for fear of saying anything which may be considered Politically Incorrect. Having reflected on the subject for some time, I am no longer able to contain myself and feel obliged express my views again. I should mention that I have had PD since 2011 and included amongst my medications is a D.A. (Ropinirole). I have personally always enjoyed a healthy sexual appetite which is something I had to give thought to when agreeing to take Ropinirole. After careful consideration and discussion with my wife I formed the view that whilst Ropinirole may increase my sexual interest, it would not and could not make me pursue any action which is alien to my nature. I have no medical background but I hold that view very strongly and cannot be dissuaded from it. Rightly or wrongly we tend to judge others by the principles we follow ourselves.

It would seem from the remarks of “Goldengirl” that those of us who take Dopamine Agonists should not be criticised for any antisocial behaviour. If that were the case, it is like having a license to do whatever we wish and, there are no doubt some individuals about who would choose to do so. Should my comments be viewed as extreme and politically incorrect, may I offer the excuse that my judgement may be impaired because I am on Dopamine Agonists or, does that only apply to Sexual and Gambling offenders. Gerrard

Hi Gerrard,

I appreciate that you have your own personal views on this in light of your own experience with Ropinirole. As I’m sure you’re aware, this is a very sensitive topic for all those that have either experienced compulsive and impulsive behaviour as side affect to their Parkinson’s medication or have witnessed the distressing affects it has had on friends and/or loved ones. Whilst I’m not taking sides, I’d also like to reassure you that my agreement was in reference to contacting the members’ GP or Parkinson’s nurse.

However, as Bettyblue stated , this has already been passed onto the safeguarding team here at Parkinson’s UK and I trust that this particular situation will be addressed by them.

I hope this clears up any potential confusion.

Best wishes,
Reah

Gerrard,
I am pleased that you have never experienced the life-changing side effects of DAs.
The latest French research shows that about 50% of people on a therapeurptic dose will experience catastrophic Impulse control disorders in time…
You seem to think that thus behaviour is just about expressing increased sexual interest in a somewhat anti-social manner, and then blaming the drug.
If only!
There is a thread about ICDs/ impulse control disorders and DAs…going back years.
Do read through as much as you can bear to hear the stories of the many, many PWP who have suffered ruined lives, bankruptcy, broken marriages and relationships because of these side effects.
Thank your lucky stars you have experienced none of this…the illegal activities, the secrecy, the lies and deception that bring ever-increasing thrills into the lives of good people who would never have imagined that they would sink into this pit of depravity.
I have been there as a carer and received wonderful support from sufferers in the old forum.
I still support some victims who find their way to me via the historic threads.
The outside world judges but people with Parkinson’s in particular need to support each other and that means learning about and understanding the horrendous situation that can befall some and not dismissing them as just needing to control themselves.
Again, if only…
GG

Betty blue
I realise the conversation is uncomfortable for you but I feel it is important to promote understanding of this dreadful problem.
There is a clear need for information for some PWP and their carers if some think that it is possible to control the impulse control disorders that can be experienced .
Research makes clear the high numbers who are affected and the severity of the side effects.
If we let people carry on thinking it is a problem which they will never experience or can control we are not helping them.
If it is indeed possible for you to delete the conversation…so be it…but I was unaware that you could delete any posts but your own.
I hope you can see my contributions as trying to warn and protect potential sufferers and explain the need for help for those already in the grip of the nightmare.
GG

I wonder if you saw Inside Out on BBC1 at 8pm tonight?
There was a long piece about Ropinirole and the impulse control disorders that many suffer as a side effect.
It was a little sanitised but made clear the overwhelming of the normal personality as the obsessions took over.
Worth watching on iplayer to be forewarned?
GG

My husband has Parkinsons and takes m/r mirapexin.He has had lots of problems with impulse control especially hypersexuality.We have been happily married for 40 years but I came close to leaving him for my own protection. Our Gp and PD nurse helped reduce his dose of mirapexin as his consultant was dismissive of the problem.
I am writing this to explain that this is not inherent to a person;s nature but is a devastating side effect of medication and for any of you that are experiencing these problems or seeing them in a loved one then be brave and seek help.
Our situation is much improved but it wasn’t easy being brave enough to talk about these things and then persisting about it.
I wish you all well

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story with us, @maisiecat. I’m sure it will help many others who may feel embarrassed or uncomfortable to talk about this issue. Wishing you and your husband all the best.

Best wishes,
Reah

Dearest Maisiecat,
My heart goes out to you and your husband .How on earth can a consultant be unaware of these devastating side effects which affect 50% of patients taking a therapeutic dose of DAs?
The drug companies have blood on their hands.
Love and hugs
GG

Some of you may know me here and I thought of coming here under cover of a new avatar but I believe this may help more if it is just me. I have found that I have been affected by impulse control issues in eating, spending , use of the internet, hobbies and hypersexuality. when I started on ropinirole( I am not sure exactly when). I was warned about the potential issues and I went into it with my eyes open. I was married and my wife was fully aware of potential issues. I had no problems. A couple of years later my marriage broke up not from any issue connected to impulses.
However what I did have was complacency I went through a bad time lost my confidence and didn’t expect to have any impulse control issues but I did there were signs of increased internet usage and I became involved with no strings sex. Six months down the line my main problem was compulsive internet use at night. My previous poor sleep was a godsend compared to my new situation. It got worse until I could have lost my job. That was all I needed to accept I had a problem. I managed to control both behaviours but didn’t realise at the time sometimes I compulsively spent and ate. I met a new girlfriend my compulsions actually went dormant and for 18 months I was a bit compulsive about food. and writing but no aspects threatened my life. After we split but not straight away my behaviours escalated. Spending pushed my finances my weight gained, seeking sex made me less connected to my family, loss of sleep pushed me to the limits. I admitted my problems to no-one and thought I could control my behaviours. Every time I brought something under control another crept up on me. Two years ago the mainstay of my Parkinsons meds was 14mg of ropinirole. I was under huge pressure at work due to sleep problems and daytime tiredness caused by the ropinirole. I decided to change my meds but getting appointments and going through the different steps took time. A year after my meds only included 6mg ropinirole and in the past 12 months I have lost 2 stones, my spending has been controlled I settled my sleeping pattern, My year at work has been a success. My sexual behaviour is under my control and I am not seeking it. I wrote this to show you how complex these issues are. They may strike at any time , you dismiss their negative impacts on your life, you don’t tell the truth you protect your ability to continue them. I still take 6mg per day but I cannot take for granted that they will never affect me again. So I watch all the aspects and check my own decisions. Please I ask everyone don’t assume anyone else either shares your story or can cope like you. Some of us will have much harder issues to deal with and will not be able to control it. Some of us might be able to act to institute some control but everyones story is different and we may require different levels of support. It may seem to some that maybe my problems were not necessarily related to the drugs. I can assure you though they made a huge difference and without the side effects my behaviour would have been markedly different.

Thank you Jon B for your honesty.
It is so hard to convince people of the nature of the compulsions…how the victim lies to himself and doesn’t accept that their mind has been taken over.
I am so glad that your life is returning to normal and that your story will give hope to others.
Love
GG

Thank you,
It is hard for people to appreciate but we are dealing with drugs that act on the brain and sometimes there are side effects. Like any side effect we can address it by changing the medication. There is always hope.

Thank you for your honestry and being brave enough to tell your story.I am glad things are better but you are right to stay vigilant as even on a small dose on mirapexin my husband;s compulsions vary.I think the madopar also feeds into it at times.
I think once you have recognised the problem that you are much more in control and I think those of us that have these stories should try and share them as for a long time my husband didn;t think he had a problem.This was undoubtedly made worse but his consultant implying that there was something wrong with me if I didn’t meet his sexual demands.
I think the compulsive eating is alomst the easiest trigger to watch because of weight gain and that keeps you alert.
Wishing you all the best

Maisiecat
Thank you.
I am at a slight loss to understand how your consultant could make such a basic mistake. Although I saw complacent and naive attitudes from medical professionals but nothing as wrong as you faced.
Thank you also for sharing here