Impulsive and compulsive behaviours in Parkinson’s

Hey everyone! :slightly_smiling_face:

Impulsive and compulsive behaviours can be a side effect of Parkinson’s medication. Knowing how to spot these behaviours and what to do when they happen is the best way to manage them.

That’s why we’re writing a Q&A with a healthcare professional about impulsive and compulsive behaviours. Got questions on the topic? Tell us below so we can include them.:point_down:

Is there any advice for people living alone with obsessive/ compulsive behaviours?
It’s easy to ignore, rationalise and hide your behaviours when you live alone.

If you manage to recognise what you’re doing, regardless of whether or not you live alone, how do you access actual ongoing support both in terms of the emotional and financial (or other) fallout of associated behaviours? Is support available?

Hi @Jackson,

Thanks for sending us your question, I have passed it onto my colleague who us managing the Q&A.

Best wishes,
Reah

Hi Jackson,
Basically the answer is no.
You can ring the helpline, speak to a Parkinson’s nurse, a neurologist…you can ask to come off the DAs and cope with the withdrawal, you can ask for counselling.
But basically it is over 10 years since research showed that 50% of men over 50 on a therapeutic dose of DAs will experience life-changing OCDs, now renamed ICDs…
Legal action in many countries made financial compensation available to those who had suffered and lost everything…In the U.K. no legal action was possible, PDUK did not support it.
Patients still stumble into this forum with ruined lives, neurologists still deny/ minimise the risks to patients, the drug companies continue to make millions…
So many of us faced lives ruined, relationships crushed, finances decimated, mental health problems never addressed.
Most of us gave up and stumbled off into the darkness.
Ask for help. Demand it. Do not take no for an answer.Research the DA/OCD destruction of sanity.
Do not join us…
Gg
Xx

2 Likes

Hi, thank you for your reply; I feared that might be the case. It’s too hard, I spend my life with Parkinson’s fighting everybody for everything and it’s too tiring. I feel like little more than an inconvenient financial drain which needs managing as cheaply as possible. It sounds like things have been really rough for you and I’m guessing that you’ve never had any real support with this. You are right of course, there is no proper support and if anybody signposts me to another generic self help sheet I will scream. They don’t help. I can ignore a self help sheet, they don’t answer my specific questions or address my particular needs and they can’t answer me. They are, however, probably cost effective. :~S
Take care
Jx

1 Like

Hi Jackson,

We’re sorry that this is so draining for you. Please do feel free to call our Helpline advisers on 0808 800 0303. They will be glad to offer advice, support or just chat if you want to. You can also email [email protected] if you prefer. We hope that this helps in some way.

Best wishes,
Edwina
Moderation Team