Just diagnosed help!

Youve got laugh sometimes Teehee haven’t you as the tears can come so easily at times too. Reading some of your other posts im glad you’re putting yourself first and seeking out support. Its so important. Getting fit is important for mind and body. I fall off the wagon every so often and know its best to keep going.
Watch the YouTube pd warrior exercises and build them up. Your determination will get you through.

1 Like

Hi TeeHee
It sounds as though you have really turned a corner. Feeling positive about things certainly makes a difference and I get a much more positive vibe from your last message.
My main problem at the moment is not being allowed to drive after a stroke last year. I am going through a process of retraining etc and was just about at the end of it when the Parkinsons diagnosis threw a spanner in the works. It is very frustrating having to rely on others, or take taxis - we live out in the sticks, but I am hopeful that the end is in sight. Then there will be no holding me. i need to make up for the time I have lost, and get back to doing the voluntary work I love. From the neck upwards things still seem to be working well, so I am optimistic that I will be able to continue doing that. Keep your fingers crossed for me!
Knine

1 Like

Knine,
Fingers and toes crossed you are back driving soon.

Divine 1
Exercise, exercise that’s the key, bring on the endorphins.

Xxxx

Hi both
Thanks for the good wishes. My fingers and toes are temporarily crossed - not a good position for driving though. I think some sort of celebration will be needed when I do (not if!) I get my licence back.
Keep yours crossed for me.
Knikne

Hi Teehee,
Don’t know if you’ve seen exercises from PWR on Internet? Parkinson’s group from USA. You can do the stretches from chair, standing and floor position. Thy look similar to PD warrior but might be worth a look.
Knine, im sure you’ll get that license back, you’ve been through alot. Its great to see you’re positivity.

Thank you. Sounds good xx

Hi all,

Ive just found this on another forum. The 10 core exercises from PD warrior https://pdwarrior.com/core-exercises/

Hi Anne I had exactly the same symptoms & was eventually after a year of several visits to my GP and him asking if I thought I’d had a stroke (errrr who’s the GP?) & who said to me “I could refer you to a neurologist but that would be a waste of time” was finally referred to a neurologist who after half an hour of movement tests & questions said "I’m afraid you have onset parkinsons which knocked me for six! I told everyone close to me straight away and they have been a great support and without their support I don’t think I’d still be getting out and about & living as near normal life as I can. I personally advise that you should never hide your parkinsons as coping on your own will be nigh on impossible.I was diagnosed in 2010 and have recently had the DBS op which has benefited me immensely!

1 Like

Hi all

Just read the posts as I’m new to all this.
I’m convinced that I have pd, got the tremors,shuffling walk,stooped stance,irregular urinating,etc,etc. Been referred to neurologist and now waiting for the bad news,
Is there anything I can do to ease my symptoms in the meantime, such as exercise and supplements . Any advice would be appreciated as a consultation could be months away and I want to get started on this battle sooner rather than later.

Thanks in anticipation Limpy

Hi again

Forgot to mention I’m a 63 yr old male and still working in a manual Job that is becoming more and more strenuous by the week

Cheers Limpy

Thanks Divine1 I have now received a lettter from the driving centre agreeing with my tutor that I am ready for independent driving again, so I am almost there, I think.

Keep everything crossed for me. It’s my birthday early March and a new driving licence would be the best prsent ever!

Seen my neuro physio today, and got a proper exercise programme - I’m ready for bed, tired out, so that must be a good thing?

Great news, soon be driving around and back working as a volunteer. Pleased exercise programme sorted. Keep us updated. X

Thanks TeeHee

I am getting quite excited about the future - it looks so promising, and much better than I might have expected. I will certainly bore everybody with stories of my progress, or otherwise.

2 Likes

Hi Limpleg, (good name)
Just make sure to stretch everyday yoga is good for that. YouTube PD warrior exercises which emphasis big movements. They say a Mediterranean diet is good too.
When you’re walking try take big strides and focus on heel /toe heel /toe. Sounds simple but it focuses the mind. Hopefully you won’t have a positive diagnosis and you won’t have to wait too long.

So pleased for you and you wont bore us, eagerly await your tales of driving and what you are doing as a volunteer…x

Hope you get a diagnosis soon, at least you will know what you are dealing with. Good Luck.

Hi Jayne,

All Parkinson’s sufferers can now have SOLID HOPE and know that Parkinson can be no more a degenerative disease ! This is very serious and this is why I just created an account on this site. My husband is suffering from Parkinson since 10 years. I just signed up to this site to give the good new to all !!! I just spoke today with the incredible French Neurologist who is helping people with Parkinson since 15 years to stop the disease and reverse symptoms. I wish I would heard about him earlier. I read before many info about his therapy that may surprise you and above all, I interviewed Parkinson’s sufferers in France (among them a Doctor) who are treated with the French Neurologist.
His name is : Dr Gabriel Villafane.
The neuroprotective therapy is based on: Nicotine patch therapy.
Yes you read well. Because of his fantastic results, there are scientists who started promising studies in US (like MIckael J. Fox and others) hope is around the corner !. The first studies on animals started in 1998 at hospital. THen they started the clinic tests. Results are amazing.
He combines the classic treatment of levodopa with very specific dosage of NEPT (nicotine patch therapy) according to each patient. Before several exams are required (datscan, full cardiac exam, liver, kidney, thyroid… to evaluate the patient and the right dosage for him. He is actually following 1 600 patients, many coming from different countries, and started to train neurologists who want to help their patients.
There are 3 categories of patients after the treatment:

• those who stopped completely the disease and reversed about 80 % of symptoms,
  • those who stabilized the disease (no more progression) and improve symptoms
  • 2 % who did not see too much improvement (because of advanced age and length of the disease when more that 20 years.
    I personally spoke with a man who is 78 years old, diagnosed in 2007, who’s life changed. He is doing many activities, walking long distance and you cannot hear when listening to his speech that he has Parkinson ! He told me that 2 years before (before starting the nicotine therapy), he could not take the phone.
    The Doctor explains that nicotine has a bad image as associated with smoking. But pure nicotine, released with a patch, without all the bad stuff of the cigarette, has a strong neuroprotective activity especially on dopaminergenic neurons.
    So, I am so happy to give this good new on this site for people who don’t know yet. Be aware that there is absolutely no possibility to start the treatment of our own (what I wanted to do before talking with the doctor…). It has to be very specific and personalized with different parameters to not compromise results.
    You can start to google and read some testimonials of patients who are on NEPT.

Hi Bougie,

A warm welcome to the forum.

You may be interested to know that we’ve written a blog about nicotine that features some research going on at the moment You can find the blog here.

Studies of nicotine patches to treat the symptoms of Parkinson’s have, so far, produced conflicting and therefore inconclusive results.

I hope you find this information useful.

Best wishes,
Reah

Hi again all

Had my consultation after paying private to speed up the process
Diagnosed early pd as suspected. Been put on Madopar 62.5 initially to see hòw i react to the medication. Shuffling and stoop doing my head in, hope the exrcises pay dividends.
Thanks for the tips divine/tee hee

Limpy

Hi Limpleg,
Sorry to hear that you’re diagnosis is positive but you seem to have a handle on it. Keep moving. Do you have access to a pd nurse? They are a great source of information and support. Check for pd warrior classes in your area. If you’re into supplements, i use omega 3, vitD3 and Co oxy10. If find im a bit more alert and less fatigued.