Kicked Out of the 3am Club

Something has happened that has not occurred since
2019… two full nights sleep! Naturally I have thought long and hard about possible causes, and have only one change for both days.

A change in biscuit! I bought Mcvities Tasties Chocloate Bourbons rather than my usual brand, no other changes were made, but it seems to work. Has anyone else found the same correlation?

3 Likes

Can’t comment on the biscuit myself, but in the absence of any other explanation if it gives that result why not. I can hardly remember what a full night’s sleep is like. I would be interested to know if the theory holds good over time!

Hi please share, I would gladly welcome secrets for even a period of three hour sleep without being wide awake from 3am onwards! Is sleep pattern a common issue with PD, I can’t remember the last time I went to bed and had more than three hours sleep, just wonder if my body clock has adjusted and am now on auto pilot, like the idea of the biscuits though!

1 Like

Yes sleep disturbance is common in PD. For me like you, I only manage 3 sometimes 4 hours a night. It is less of an issue now I’m not working and lying in bed willing myself to sleep is both futile and frustrating so now I get up and put the telly or radio on and do the ironing, answer some emails, maybe read or do one of hobbies, my forum posts are often in the early hours at the moment I’m starting to make my Xmas cards - I know it’s early to mention the word (I can hear the groan but I am slow and have to go with it when meds and Mr Parky allow) plus I’m being a bit ambitious this year and they are taking about an hour a piece) I digress, my point is that i just treat it as normal, don’t worry about it and if I have the occasional power nap during the day then so be it. And in case you’re wondering how on earth an Xmas card can take an hour I have attached a photo! Don’t think this is probably much help AnaElsa but it works for me.

Simply added up cause and effect, only change was the biscuits. One night is welcomed, two surprised three more than coincidence

Just to update, 5 hours 30 minutes sleep last night

Pretty good going makes you think there must be something in the biscuit theory. Is that 4 nights now?I

3 nights

1 Like

Still good going. Keep us up to date won’t you, it’s an interesting development. I don’t eat many biscuits but perhaps I should start on these and see if I get the same results!

50p per packet, can’t really lose, and if it works… bourbons on prescription please

1 Like

Absolutely and much nicer than a chemical solution, not that I have resorted to that yet!

1 Like

I haven’t tried bourbon biscuits, but I do find a cup of cocoa or hot milk helps me get to sleep. Or, if I wake up at 2 a.m. an early breakfast of granola and milk may help me get another hour or two’s sleep.
But I am really struggling with insomnia at the moment. I rarely get more than three or four hour’s sleep.

Hi Tot, Ahh those cards are so lovely! I wish I had the patience, I still even send my sewing to my mum and I’m 53! I’ve had the sleep issue a while but when I started the meds (on about week 7 now) I thought it may help with the sleep but really not much difference other than a couple of nights in the last couple of months where I have had around four hours. What I have found though is that I feel more like my old self and my brain fog seems to have lifted, I can hold a two way conversation wihout having to think what have I missed and actually got some interest and energy levels back into wanting to get on with things, again is this normal or maybe I was just really low before I started the meds, still waiting for a confirmed diagnosis and he’s started me on sinemet CR to see how I respond, thought would ask as have seen you have given lots of advice on posts on here and really helps to know there is someone who can understand, going for a walk via shop to pick up biscuits! Take care

Hi, my problem with sleep is somewhat different. I either sleep, or I don’t. When I sleep, I can’t wake up. Or, I can’t sleep at all during the night. All or nothing, very strange. Then, like a few had said, we get used to it. Unsure if ‘the biscuit’ is the answer, I shall wait for more results. I don’t get up on my ‘no sleep’ nights. I self relax my body, so at least I’m resting, but it doesn’t take me to sleep. Nights that I do sleep, my husband wakes me , that way I keep to my sleep pattern. If my husband is not home, I sleep until someone wakes me. Could sleep around the clock. During sleep, I shout out, wave my arms around, fight, have night terrors, but I’m still sleeping. My husband just tries to calm me until it passes. During the night terror I’m obviously frightened, as my reaction shows, but I don’t wake. The following morning I remember the horror of it. All very strange, but then, that’s Parkinson’s for you.

Hello again, thank you for your kind words. I don’t really give advice as such it is more just my view of a situation or event which perhaps helps understanding or give a different perspective. Whatever if it helps that’s a bonus. I will come back to comment on your post but would ask you to bear with me typing isn’t too clever at the moment…I will return!

1 Like

4:40 today, not as good as 5 but much better than 3

2 Likes

Hello AnaElsa sorry to be a bit slow in getting back to you. The short answer to your question is that yes it is all perfectly normal for you. You will hear and read time and again that Parkinson’s is a very individual condition in terms of how it affects people; what is important is to recognise is the factors such as you yourself have identified and take them to your review as it is that sort of discussion which will inform the next step as it were. Medication is probably the single biggest area of concern but ultimately it has to be your decision and you must feel comfortable with any drugs you take. Medication and indeed just about any area you can name regarding Parkinson’s can be frustrating if you let it because not only are there few definitive crystal clear answers but then just when you’re going along nicely it will change at some point. That happens to all of us and it depends a lot I think on how you view this that shapes how you manage Parkinson’s over the long term. For me that was not actually that hard. I worked for many years in the care and disability sector so my view of disability generally was positive and I am a predominantly a glass half full sort of person, I knew people who were positive on balance did better than those that didn’t that sort of thing. Given this I was quite clear in my mind how I was going to play this card fate has seen fit to bestow which in a nutshell means my main focus is to stay positive, be open about my Parkinson’s with others and to live with this unwanted guest who is not going to go away, my way and that’s been my way for almost 11 years now including my view of meds. I am guided by my consultant and Parkinson’s nurse but ultimately decide what is best for me myself. I have always made it plain I only want what I need for a quality of life, no more and it is very much a partnership which took some getting used to. I am not going to pretend its all plain sailing and easy but generally this approach suits me, I am comfortable with it and apply it across the board. I’m not sure how much use this is or even if it makes sense to you and it is difficult to explain something which
just seems normal to me. That is my path, my way. Your analysis of your meds is the start of you on your path. I said the aspects you noted are normal for you and so they are. What that may contribute to your understanding how you want to live with Mr Parky is for you to decide and you will find your way but it can take time. I would say however you are clearly very aware of the differences meds have made and I truly believe you will be fine. The forum is always here and I think it won’t be long before you will be responding to posts yourself. Good luck with finding your way and if you don’t mind probably getting a long reply that really says nothing in particular, Tot’s the name!

Hello MaggieT,
One way or another your nights sound like hard work and not much fun. Parkinson’s is what it is as you say but it seems he is showing you a particularly cruel streak. You have my respect for how you see and manage it, it can’t be easy. Parkinson’s may win the occasional round but you are more than holding your own and long may it be so.

2 Likes

Deliberately had no biscuits and low and behold… I’m awake and allowed into the club again

Welcome back to the club but your experience is intriguing. I’m not sure what I think but it is certainly a curious phenomenon.