Mucuna pruriens - any updates appreciated

Hi

I’m newly diagnosed with Parkinsons and am very keen to hear from anyone who’s been treating their Parkinson’s with only Mucuna Pruriens. I’m reluctant to start on the medication prescribed by my neurologist preferring to try a more natural route. Any feedback will be really appreciated.

Thanks
Sandy

I was worried supplies of meds during the pandemic so I looked into mucuna.

I bought some “Mucuna Dopa” from Biovea (in the US so a couple of weeks for delivery) - I’ve tried it a couple of times and there seems to be gastric side effects when compared to my prescription meds.

The side effects took a few days to get over. Perhaps it’s just me, but this has very much ruled mucuna out as an alternative.

Hi

Thanks for the feedback. Did it help at all with your Parkinson’s symptoms?

Thanks
Sandy

I expect that it works for parkinson’s symptoms.

It is becoming apparent that I don’t have Parkinson’s though.

Thanks so much for the information it’s really appreciated.

Kind regards
Sandy

Hi Moomoo
I was diagnosed 7/8 years ago and took NHS meds for the first 4 years. I then started on Mucuna Pruriens (white powder) which I found to be more effective than the brown. I purchased this from America and used it until the company stopped exporting to the UK. Since last October I have been taking Clean Mucuna 99% capsules purchased removed by admin. I have found by trial and error that I function best by the following. 7 am breakfast, 8 am 1 capsule. 9 am snack, 10 am 1 capsule, 11 am fruit, 12 noon 1 capsule. 1 pm lunch. The afternoons I find I can spread the time between doses to 2.5 - 3 hours depending on how I feel as long as I have something in my tummy. I mostly take 7 capsules daily occasionally only 6. I feel very well on this regime and would highly recommend anyone to try it. Hope this helps if you need to ask anything further I will be happy to respond .
All the best. Minky

Hi Minky

Thanks so much for your reply. That’s really good news to hear that Mucuna is working for you. How many tablets did you start with? Did you build it up slowly to where you are now taking 6 tablets a day? Any side effects?

Kind regards
Sandy

Hi
With any new meds I always start on the lowest in this case 1 capsule daily. From this I tried 2 capsules taken together and was heady and nauseous. I slowly increased to the number I now take. 6/7. The next thing I tweeked was my food intake/timings and I now make sure I don’t take it on an empty stomach. My GP is aware that I take Mucuna as is the neurologist and Parkinson’s nurse. I am fortunate to have found something that makes such a difference. I wish you well for the future . Regards Minky

Thanks for the information Minky and it’s very encouraging to hear it works so well for you. I am definitely going to give Mucuna a go!

All the best
Sandy

Hello,
I’m glad to hear everything is going well, recently the neurologist had told me I have functional neurological disorder and my datscan came but normal, but my uncle who was diagnosed with Parkinson’s is certain I have it as well, and I have recently tried the natural l’dopa tablets and since then my symptoms have noticeable improved and can easily tell when it has worn off because all my symptoms come back.
Should I take this as a sign that my uncle is right and I should go back to neurologist and discuss the likely hood that this is in fact Parkinson’s.

Thank you for any feedback

I used Macuna Pruriens for a few years off and on after diagnosis around 4 years ago, they do work, but having now gone onto Sinemet, I can definitely say they are no where near as effective as Levodopa (Sinemet).

Hi
I was on Sinemet for four years, initially it made a huge difference but later the side effects worried me. Mucuna works for me, it took a further three years of trialling various powders/strengths to find one that suits me and is effective without binders or fillers. I have taken the current Mucuna since last October. Wishing you well.
Minky

After just one Mucuna tablet my husband was poleaxed with nausea which took nearly 24 hours to fade
Never agaun