New job interviews

i now realise that some of my total lack of success in interviews over the last 5 years may be due to pd. the stress of interviews has a very bad effect on voice projection and so one comes over as a very quiet person lacking in confidence. but if you were to explain this in an interview would it be beneficial? if the job involves stressful occasions havent you just proved that you arent up to it?
i have resigned my current job and hopefully will have an interview for my final job in 8 or so weeks. its one thing to tell a current employer - but what about a future employer?

any advice?
I don't have any advice turnip, it is I think even more tricky than the Q of whether or not to inform current employer. I would however like to point out that many employers require applicants to complete a medical Q/airre and for the applicant to give authority for their GP to be contacted. Of course this depends on the type of work, and many employers don't bother. I would have thought that to be economical with the truth if required to fill out such a form would be a stress time bomb, and could have repercussions should health become an issue during employment. So maybe if asked be honest, otherwise it is none of their buisness?
I wish you all the best for your forthcoming interview. I know you will be fine
Hi Turnip
I do agree with AB .
Maybe you could also go to the interview process and see how that goes first. Hopefully if your successful and will be, you could tell them about your PD. It is a difficult one! Companies are not supposed to discriminate . You know your capabilities. I wish you all the best Turnip do keep us informed. Regards PB
Say nowt.
If you don't tell them and they find out later, they might think you've been a bit sneaky, and you could lose their trust. Potentially they could call it non-disclosure of relevant facts.

Either way, if you get the job without telling them you'll be permanently worrying about it, and if any symptoms get noticeably worse you'll be in a right panic.

If your old employer knew, your new employer could easily find out anyway, if they phoned for a reference.

Finally, could things like a disabled sticker in your car be a giveaway?

Better to be up front I think, and get brownie points for your honesty.

Good luck!

Ray.
Health questionaires pre-employment are illegal unless there is a justification for them. If you have PD you have a chronic condition that affects your normal daily life and is therefore a disability under the Equality Act. If an employer refuses to employ you BECAUSE OF THE PD he/she is in breach of the equality act and can be sued in an employment tribunal. You do not have to reveal whether you have a medical condition, it is up to you, but I agree with the previous posting that said it would always be on your mind. An employer is required, under the act, to make reasonable adjustments to the job in order to accommodate a person with a "disability".
thanks very much for your replies everyone.
Hi Turnip
I found that when I was interviewing my voice trailed off to a whisper and occasionally had to take a quick intake off breath
I drank a lot of Coffee through the day about 12 cups.
I now drink Sugar free diluting juice and cut back to 4 cups per day
My voice now holds its projection.

K9JLK
HI turnip

Honesty is the best policy. P.D. is no friend and will 'shop' you when you least expect it!

Lin
xx
honesty and fruit juice sound a healthy combination
Tell them at the 2nd interview. I agree re the trust thing - you'll be working with them (hopefully) you can't hoodwink them because they'll always remember you did. Good luck.
update - nothing happened yet, the organisation i am in contact with is the slowest in the universe - but actually thats fine for me as it fits in with my travels. will post when something does happen.
Hi !
I don't see that PD should be mentioned unless you consider it will affect your work. If your example you were applying to be a sign writer with shaking arms or a waitress, it would be naïve to "forget to mention PD"

If the job has a pension /life insurance associated with it a medical is quite often mandatory, hence again you cannot very well "forget to mention PD"

But other jobs, such as office deck based - working from home I don't see it being relevant

westby
Hi Turnip, and everybody else.

Oddly, I logged in today to ask a very similar (OK, identical) question. The only thing that differs is my situation; I'm not currently employed, mainly because I've been taking a career break while the children were young. The youngest goes to school in September...

Anyway, I have had a few interviews (for part time jobs, thus far) since my PD became apparent. Both were with a local authority (who, I imagine could not possibly be seen to be discriminatory). Both were library-related jobs (essentially a career change for me, which doesn't help).

The first interview was before the diagnosis was confirmed, and before I started taking rasagiline. The interview nerves made my tremor (a relatively new symptom) worse, and - while I could control my arm - I just couldn't stop my knee wobbling. I didn't tell the interviewers about PD (because it wasn't confirmed at the time). I didn't get the job. When I asked for feedback, they gave me two reasons: first, that there was someone with more relevant experiene. Can't argue with that. But second, that I had seemed excessively nervous and they thought I wasn't up to the customer services aspect of the job.

During the second interview, I didn't experience any uncontrollable tremors. (Probably the rasagaline helped.) I also told one of the interviewers, after the interview itself was over, of my PD. I used my previous experience as something to hang the 'confession' off of; she said that she hadn't noticed any tremors. I think I assured her that the PD shouldn't affect my ability to do the job. I didn't get that job either, though, and this time, feedback was not forthcoming.

Another point: I have had talks with a recruitment agent. She called me to talk about a short term contract role. I felt obliged to mention PD even at such an early stage - she advised me that there would be no need to tell a temporary employer (particularly as, I think, this was a freelance role) so long as it didn't affect my ability to do the job. That role didn't materialise - I think it may have been cancelled, but I'm not sure. It would have been in a field I have experience in, but I haven't freelanced before.

On the whole, I think I would definitely tell potential employers if the role was a 'permanent' one. If it was a multiple interview affair, I'd leave it to the final interview. If it was a single interview affair, I'd mention it towards the end of the interview. I'd try to assure the employer that I could do the job, and I'd try to play it down a bit.

But I have to say, I'd still be worried about my chances being affected. They shouldn't be... but how can you tell?

On a poitive note, my younger sister went through something similar several years ago. She has juvenile onset arthritis, and she landed herself a good job in the head ofice of a large national retailer. She's been there ever since, with a few promotions (and one knee operation) along the way. I don't think she could have hidden her arthritis even if she'd wanted to; it is evident in her hands.
Forgot to add: Good luck, Turnip!
thanks for all the best wishes. job still not advertised.
am currently (and I hesitate to say this) ensconsed in a luxury hotel somewhere in indonesia. which is very nice. (copyright the fast show).
however the effects of stress during the flight such as being unable to get out of my seat or open the peanuts, made it clear that the stress-related effects of an interview can not be hidden.
will let you all know what happens.
thanks again.
no need to fret turnip, I doubt that they will give you a bag of peanuts at interview. You will be fine. Nearly there eh? Say hello to my favourite cousin in KL
will give them a shout.
having trouble converting rupiah to pounds- dividing by 13000 can be confusing.
didnt have any money to pay for visa into indonesia, border people extremely helpful - especially when owen threatened to have diahorrea in the secure area.
Who's forgetting their maths shortcuts, then?

To ROUGHLY divide by 13,000 first multiply by 8, and then move the decimal point 5 places to the left.

Example: Dividing 60,000 by 13,000:

(1) 60,000 x 8 = 480,000

(2) Move 5 decimal places = 4.80 (accurate answer = 4.615)

Ray.
actually it is a nice hotel but in the middle of a disaster of a get-rich scheme by suharto. several buildings were burned down before being finished. the nearest bank is 1 1/2 hours away and guests never leave the hotel.

rays calculation is quite correct but slightly difficult to perform when awake for 30 hours in 32 degrees heat with a child with the runs, a distraught wife who has taken us to the wrong ferry terminal, a lack of dopamine cause the pills are in a suitcase, the wheels and handle of which are in ones pocket and 5 seconds to work out if 90,000 for a taxi is a good deal or a rip-off.

but will be useful in more relaxed occasions.

got bitten by a spider lurking in a table football game, fortunately not a dangerous one, i think.

is the worst driving in the world by the indonesian taxi driver?

looking forward to the beautiful, if strict, city of singapore, where the driving is less lemming-like.