New job interviews

no, turnip, the worst driving in the world is by the Roman one , who drives at speed whilst looking over his shoulder to tell you all about Rome. But then maybe he was the best. He got us there safely,decided he didn't like the hotel, bundled us back into his cab & drove us determinedly to another one. I choose to think it was not owned by his BIL!
Have a lovely holiday, Turnip.

Just popped by to say that I have an upcoming telephone interview for a full time job. The job spec. reads almost like my CV; I think I stand a chance, on paper at any rate. Obviously, telephone interview = first stage, so I won't bother mentioning PD. I haven't had any voice problems, so I'm hoping that the PD won't affect it in any way - just my usual bungling to contend with, then.
Good luck Z with the telephone interview. Not my favourite type, although the worst for me is the so-called behavioral questions - my mind goes a complete blank. I once walked out of an interview of that sort.
People easily get the wrong idea in telephone interviews about your personality etc.
as its hard to tell what they are thinking.
Hi AB
i'll take your word on roman taxi drivers. our driver's eyes never left the road, hand never left the horn or foot the accelerator. he mainly drove in an imaginary middle lane of the road.
having fun with my spider bite - when you squeeze it liquid bubbles out of the two little neat fang holes. insurance should add table football to scuba and mountaineering as dangerous activities. treating it with bacardi (externally and internally).
cheers
Hi, just a quick note to say that the telephone interview went well enough that they want to meet face-to-face. Now I need to start worrying about when to tell 'em. At the end of the interview? When (if) they offer me the job? Aargh!

Hoping for a lack of telltale tremors, though.

Any news your end, Turnip?
Personally Zalamander I would after the Pleased to met you Mr Z I would say now. before I waste my time and yours I have PD and take it from there. Honesty is always the best policy.

The very best of luck to all seeking jobs.

Radz
told my contact by email, turned out to be the right thing to do in this case and was much appreciated.

however the organisation may not have a permanent position, but there may be project work that would suit me fine. a bit knackered after 14 days travelling and don't actually feel like going back to work but as spent all me money best if I did.

will know more soon.
ps combination of voice problems and accent make me near incomprehensible.
so changing the accent!
don't you dare change your accent turnip. It may change your personality. And incomprehensability (is that spelt right? seems very long) can be useful.
Best of luck with the job situation. Go to the opera, or at least sit on the steps. It is typical Irish weather here. I love it
am now in a small rural town. quite cold as high up. house drafty and cold. love setting fire to wood in log burner, and using the log splitter- voilent pyromaniac tendencies.
bit of a shock being sent back to middle of winter but you get these cold dry clear ionized days that are rare in the soggy isles.
driving much less stressful as wide roads, little traffic and easy parking. flocks of parrots everywhere.
stand out as if i had a sign saying 'stranger in town', parky symptoms emphasising the strangeness. in small rural towns everyone knows everyone else. feel like we are intruding in someones sitting room. am sure we will fit in in 10 years or so.
I had my interview yesterday. I'm sorry to report that I wimped out on mentioning the 'P' word. I felt at enough of a disadvantage because of my family commitments / return to work after a long break...
hope it all went well.
ps generally speaking,from recent experience, i would now not recommend having a casual interview over lunch or at least pick something like a sandwich!
Turnip

I am new to the forum, when I was diagnosed I made the decision to finish work at the age of 51, I had worked for the company 34 years and recognising the condition is debilitating and that I had duty of care to my family.
I am now trying to do everything I would have done in retirement now, concerts, holidays and helping others with the condition by becoming a volunteer trainer and going into care homes to educate staff on dealing with Parkinson's patients.

Johnnyquest
What a great idea, your volunteering helps you and helps others, I think that's fab. Where did you go for your training?

Glenchass
Thank you, Turnip. I'll keep you updated...

Johnny, what a very lovely thing to do. I hope it's going well for you. Personally, I'm not ready to retire at 40 (particularly as it wouldn't be real retirement, as it would involve relentless childcare; I love my children very much, but I do want to be somebody other than 'Mum' again).
Well, I didn't get that job. Apparently, I was third in line (there were two jobs). The official reason is that the two successful candidates had more relevant experience. On pushing the recruitment agent, I discovered that my career break (nothing to do with PD - it was because I had children) was also a factor. They were concerned that I wouldn't be able to cope with the high pressures of the job. As if. I don't believe that technical writing could ever be that high pressured, and the deadlines never troubled me before. Besides, after a gap, I'm just dying to get back into it! Refreshed, I tell you! (Note to self: Must remember to talk this up in the next interview.)

A friend suggested that I could sue. I'm not sure it's worth the bother.

But I've wandered far enough off topic already.
sorry to hear the bad news. i would have thought using a career break as a reason was sex discrimination.
havent got anywhere myself yet. am having serious thoughts about not being so open!
Thank you, Turnip.

The 'sexual discrimination' line was the gist of my friend's litigious suggestion. It's a tricky one, though, because I gather that it was expressed as an additional concern, rather than as a primary reason. I may also have inadvertently fanned the flames in the interview because, on being asked what I thought the greatest challenge in the job might be for me, I said that it would probably be leaving the children (ie knowing that I wouldn't be there to collect them from school etc). To be honest, the job itself sounded sufficiently similar to what I've done before that I honestly didn't think it posed much in the way of general challenges.

It's been suggested to me that the best time to raise the subject might be upon being offered the job. I'm pretty certain that there is no legal obligation to mention it in interviews - but if symptoms affect your interview technique, it is a much harder call.
Zalamanda Sorry to hear that you were not successful but your friend is right. If the excuse was the career break then that is likely to be seen as sex discrimination under the equal rights act and if it was concerns over your health due to PD it is likely to be seen as disability discrimination under the act. Either way the employer was wrong. It is obviously up to you whether you want to sue in a Tribunal and to be honest it can at time be stressful, that is what employers depend on and hope cases will be dropped. PD can affect your interview technique depending on good day bad day problems. You do not have to tell a prospective employer that you have PD but if you do they have to take this into account and make allowances.

Keep trying and good luck