New job interviews

It is not essential to inform a prospective employer that you have Parkinson's if the job you are seeking is for a set contract for a specified time. If you want full time employment then that is a totally different kettle of fish. In the latter you may well be entitled to a number of side benefits such as Pension, Death in Service and Accident/Sickness benefit.If you do not disclose then your entitlement is likely to be lost. With many permanent jobs it is a requirement that you have a medical and it will be deemed that you have been a bit sparing with the truth if you failed to declare.I have had just such a conversation with a Co.Director and he said he would not proceed to offer in such circumstance.
Employers are not concerned about the equality act mainly because, as he said, due to the number of applicants per job he would be able to say that you were not given the job for reasons other than Parkinson's, ie a more suitable candidate!
There is no easy answer to this conundrum so it is for each to decide but I prefer to get it out in the open. That way if nothing else you have increased Parkinson's awareness!!!
@Bogman, when you talk about "failing to declare", at what stage do you consider it would be wisest to declare at? You say that the company director you spoke to "would not proceed to offer in such circumstance" - would that be if the candidate had neglected to mention his or her PD at interview? Or would he retract an offer made if the candidate made a declaration at that stage (ie before formally accepting the offer)?

I have to say that I have *never* had a medical for work (mainly desk-based work).

It's difficult to ascertain a true reason for not being offered a job. I cannot say whether my career break had anything to do with this one; I can say, with absolute certainty, that it wan't down to my having PD, because I didn't mention it (and my symptoms didn't get in the way). I was finding it very difficult to come up with a way of doing so, and eventually just decided not to.
I met him by chance when he turned up alone at the golf club. I invited him to join me and during our round I established that he is the UK manager for a US brewery, importing bottled beer. I was keen to quiz him about employers attitude towards PWP's. I told him I was one and asked him straight out would he employ me.I had given him all relevant info, age, PWP and 30 years experience in sales.
His reply which was given without procrastination was a direct NO! I told him I was keen to know why and without demur he said "Parkinson's". I said what if I had not declared it and that's when he told me all staff have a medical prior to formal offer. On finding out, he would withdraw the potential offer on the basis of dishonesty. The Catch 22 is that he would not select me for interview if it was on my CV and if I got to interview and declared it then my application would go no further.
I have employed people and when you get a lot of applicants you look for any reason to reduce the pile and create the shortlist. A second class stamp, bad writing, crossing out, lack of experience and age.
Not all employers are the same but statistically your best chance of getting a job is by being recommended.That does not mean that you stop applying. Stay positive and tell your story.
@Bogman - Damned if you do, damned if you don't, as far as your brewer acquainance is concerned. Good on you for asing him, though. It's interesting to hear his response (albeit disheartening).

My thoughts were that you *don't* put it on your CV; you *don't* mention it at the first round interview (if there is to be further interviews) - you wait until the employer's invested a bit of time in you, got interested, and then you tell them. Thtat would either be at the final round interview (but how to raise the issue?) or at the point of offer. A friend who has worked in recruitment told me that she thought it best to wait until you're in through the door - and established - before saying anything.

I'm thinking that the point of offer might be best if there's likely to be any question about discrimination (assuming no intrusive symptoms at interview). Withdrawing an offer on the basis of such information is clearly discrimination, and then it really would be time to sue.

(My off-topic issue - potential sexual discrimination because I had a career break - is less clear, but in the case of my recent interview, it was certainly not hidden information. It is on my CV, it was discussed at first round interview - by telephone.)
Oh, I do so hate it when I pst something and then realise that I missed some letters out! The first para of my last post should have read:

"Damned if you do, damned if you don't, as far as your brewer acquaintance is concerned. Good on you for asking him, though. It's interesting to hear his response (albeit disheartening)."
I take your friends point but what if you take the job and then tell them. The potential for constant harassmrnt and undermining is enormous. Admittedly you now have the job but the tension would have my PD in uproar. If you need a job irrespective then you do what you have to do, if not would it not be best to wait and find a welcoming post. Not easy I know but my point (learned on a course at Reeds)that the greatest number of jobs are filled by recommendation. Network all your friends snd attend at as many family and friends functions as possible.
I must admit, I don't like the idea of revealing the PD diagnosis after starting the job. It sounds too deceitful. I do want to be open, but I don't want to lose my chances of working. I'm 40, for heaven's sake! If what I'm told is true, I should have a good 10 years of relatively trouble-free time ahead of me. That is something I can emphasise if I ever get as far as proffering my "cheat sheet"* on what-it-means-to-an-employer-if-they-employ-someone-with-Parkinson's (ie, me).

*Currently in development.
(Networking in process... )
Go Zalamanda!!!!

Keep me posted, I have enjoyed the exchange of views, There is no perfect solution just go with Yosarrian (sic).
What Bogman said was very interesting and thought provoking.
My main option is still on but is taking forever so i am looking at contract work.
One advantage of contracts is that PD doesnt come into it - what they see is what they get and if they don't like it then they can end the contract.
Am tempted to take a extra dose of l-dopa before any interviews! And no protein!!
Good luck, Turnip, with main option as well as contracts. I'm also considering going down the contractor route - that is, if my nascent career as a landscape artist doesn't take off...
Having slightly odd idea of doing home care support - doesnt pay well but flexible time, local, and like the idea of helping people instead of working with computers. But not at all sure what it would be like to do it and somehow it seems a bit strange someone with pd doing that sort of work. Or is it an advantage from the empathising point of view? Contracting would involve being away from home and more stresfull. Or is home care support stresfull?
Anyone does that sort of work or receives it, would be very gratefull for any insight.
Hi Turnip,
I have worked as a relief home care support worker for almost 15yrs now supporting people with a learning difficulty in their daily lives. Iam also a variable hours lecturer teaching adults with L.D in a college so am experiencing both your dilemas. With my teaching job iam contracted and have the related benefits that go with that. My care work has it's advantages and disadvantages! Basically if i don't work i don't get paid(as non-contracted), am not entitled to sick pay, pension, most work related benefits ie Bupa etc but do get a small amount of holiday pay built in to what is a relatively low paid job. The benefits of the job is that i get to choose the hours i want to work and when (if there is hours available!) and only have to give two days notice if i want to cancel a shift and can phone in sick without any problems if need be.
As to the nature of the job - It can be extremly rewarding, sometimes challenging, often exhausting and variable in types of duties that range from driving, shopping, cooking, cleaning, laundry, going out & about, paperwork, money keeping, administering meds etc and then there is the personal care!
This for me over the years have evolved from basic showering, shaving, and cleaning/putting in teeth to now (developing needs/age of tenants) to toileting (both sides) being their through physical sickness and even administering suppositories!! Hope i haven't put you off so far????? :fearful::fearful: And also lifting, hoisting and pushing around a wheelchair. And yes, i do have Parkinsons! i also work with a member of staff who has bipolar and another who has a false leg and a gentleman who due to stress related illness volunteers his time often 5 days a week. I have watched how this one tenant has gone from being independent in his toileting needs and mobility to now needing daily support, although he accepts it he basically hates it :disappointed: I believe i have always had empathy in the way i look after these people and am more aware now of how i and others go about doing our job and reflect on how one day i'm going to need personal care and hope i will be able to guide my carer in being gentle and understanding of me and MY needs. My sister does home care for the elderly and her shifts are usually early am midday and pm duties, she has been doing it for sometime but now but gets depressed listening to other people's problems and no longer enjoys her work. I on the other hand still like my job/jobs and hope to continue with it/them for as long as possible and have the support from my fellow workers/managemnet and employers (time will tell!)

Best of luck in what ever you choose to do!

Diane
I worked in a care home for 13 years in Scotland and it was a nightmare because we were understaffed for the very dependent people we had to look after and I was always running around trying to catch up. Yes it was good to be appreciated but it was exhausting physical work and some staff were very unpleasant. Maybe you have in mind less physical care work.
How about checkout assistant? A few early retired men did it at the local supermarket and seemed fine with it.
thank you polly and drob, have now regained my senses and realise its not a good idea. supermarket till unfortunately not on either as handling change would be a nightmare. so male model it is (joke).
:smile: Hope something comes along soon.
i believe calvin kline may be after a change of image to tap into the fat, bald over 50s market. if so, my portfolio is ready.
Mr Kline will have to find someone else - starting work on monday as a modeller rather than a model.
thanks for the advice, support, warnings etc
T
Mr Kline will have to find someone else - starting work on monday as a modeller rather than a model.
thanks for the advice, support, warnings etc
T