New job interviews

turnip - well done indeed May I ask what you will be modelling? Is it a computer term ? Or something to do with plaster of Paris?
I really do admire you. Travelling I/2 way across the world, young children & finding employment Oh yes, and having pd. I get tired just thinking about it
and a really bad cold, dont forget the really bad cold!

i have a presentation called 'data modelling - its more interesting than you think.' most people ask for their money back.

i could, and do, go on about normalisation, star schemas, etc etc but this isnt the place (sighs of relief).

but since you ask!

first you identify entities:

forum - subject area - topic - post - contributor

then relationships

one and only one forum discusses zero or many subject area
zero or many topic is about one and only one subject area

then attributes
contributor has real-first-name, real-family-name, forum-name

turn these into database tables, chuck in a few indexes and hey presto -

where's everyone gone? cooo-eeee! anybody there... ah well.
same thing happened at the photo-shoot.
I used to have fun with paper mache. My father was none too pleased to find his newspapers moulded into rabbits. I will work on this identifying entities business, but not for long. It makes my head hurt
my daughter went through a creative phase with scissors - fringe 3 times, dolls, sheets, curtains... lucky she left her brother intact
Oh dear Turnip..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz lol
Congratulations, Turnip - on the job, not your daughter's past interest in scissors, that is.
Well done Turnip - it's a what??? You do what???? IS IT PAINFUL????
basically i draw lots of boxes with lines between them.
it is harmless but causes temporary glaucoma in other people (ie their eyes glaze over)

its more hours than i wanted but less driving so hopefully it will be ok. havent worked for 11 weeks, it will be a bit of a shock. will have to adopt a healthy life style to have enough energy.
shame that i will have to give up plan b to be a darts champion... was practicing going 'round the clock' on trebles and after 2 hours was still trying to get 2. ie still rubbish.
Years ago..before pd, I was asked to play in a pub team (never played before) of course I agreed to 'help out' well, I still haven't hit the board,and even less chance now eh! the dart'll be like an out of control missile (if it doesn't land in my feet) ha ha what a laugh!! needless to say I resigned from the team after my first three darts!!!:flushed:
Well Turnip, good luck with your box drawings. Gosh back to the old 9-5 eh! You will still find some time to write your poems and stories won't you. Hide in one of the boxes if you feel the muse coming on
i tried darts with my left arm which is much more affected - interesting experience for the local wild life (the board is outside).

i have written another story but it would be too upsetting to be posted. not being coy, it really is. so the world will never know turnip's untold tale, a bit like the giant rat of sumatra for conan doyle (not that i am comparing my [dubious] little stories with those of the great ACD).
OK Turnip, I will have to trust your judgement re your story. Perhaps another will pop into your mind. Surely the lines you draw from box to box would lend itself as an express highway for some mythical cyber creatures living inside your computer. Now look what you've done, started me off now!
Hello to anyone who has been waiting with bated breath (what does that mean?) to hear the outcome of my attempt to gain employment. 8 months later and your breath will have opened a motel with very clean showers and acquired a domineering mother.
The good news is that someone from the shortlist will be offered a position. The very good news is that I was the only one on the shortlist.
All I have to do now is stay well enough to carry on working...
thanks for all the advice,good wishes etc
Good luck Turnip........stay in work as long as you possibly can!

You've had an 8 month taste of retirement.

How does it feel to be going back to work?

I've had 5 years of retirement but I know where I'd sooner be if I could!
thanks
work is good, in the right quantity.
and money may not buy happiness, but debt always brings misery.
Oh Well done Turnip for getting back to work.....but I can so empathise with you. I took redundancy in December but knew that I would have to do something part time in the main for financial reasons but also because I needed that stimulation. So my first week this week, now I am only doing 18 hours over 3 days 2 long and 1 short end of first week....I could have cried.....the stress was over whelming never ever did I think it would be quite so bad. I hasten to add it is only my first week and Im sure once I get back in the swing of it and get back up to speed all should be good but today my goodness. Had to go into Asda on the way home if I wasnt feeling tender and a bit shaken before I went in I certainly was when I came out sooooooo busy and noisy.
I think the secret is going to be make sure when you finish go straight home, rest peace and quiet then think about what you need to do at home.
Is it worth it...yes I think it will be.
All the very best in your new job will be thinking of you just get the balance right and it will be fine
Take care
thanks. i do four short days. i could do more but i know the quality of my work will deteriorate which would in the end put stress on me. i also have a very short easy commute which is a great relief. the worst part about my old job was getting there and back, especially in winter - there's no point spending all your energy and concentration on unpaid unproductive travel. i have been doing this new job for a while on a casual basis so i know my boss is understanding, but at the end of the day you still have to produce the goods so i only work the number of hours that i know i can cope with without becoming a gibbering idiot (that happens later!). of course finding a job with that flexibility is not easy and so many jobs are just impossible to carry on with for long - either dangerous to other people or yourself or too physically demanding or stressful.
having stable and predictable meds regime seems really important and i know that i am in a better way than 2 years ago when i was only on DAs. i am expecting to carry on for at least 3 years and preferably 8 - when i will be 60 which would be a normallish retirement age, but that might be pushing it a bit. but who can see that far ahead?
cheers
I've bumped this thread as I would welcome the latest thinking or anyone's recent experience.

I was made redundant in Sept 2010 and started my own eBay business, it's been fairly good but does not provide enough to cover all the bills, and I really need to get back to paid employment.

I was diagnosed with PD in Sept this year aged 56, and it's early days I'm not really suffering too many tremors etc, just aching limbs which my Sinemet seems to help greatly.

I've an interview next week for a job I really want. It will involve working on construction sites and in an office but in a managerial role. The only physical element is probably lots of walking around sites but I'm still active. It's what I've always done and no reason to think I can't do it again. I'm up for it.

But...... do I tell my prospective employer? I know I can't be discriminated against, but it's the real world and it does happen.

HELP!
hi
its very tricky. Really it depends on the type of person and company. An interview at a charity might be quite different from a merchant bank. based entirely on prejudice, i might think construction companies less sympathetic than others. if so...
another aspect is the effects of pd on interviewees, i didn't get several jobs because my voice went all quiet and i came across as very shy - not what you want managing in construction! time your medications to be most effective at the interview. if symptoms do become apparent then it might be better to mention the pd rather than let them assume you are a shy, clumsy alcoholic!

good luck