Sinemet

it does mention people take it with sleep problems! any good is that you.

Hi everyone ,well we are all so different.i have been on sinemet plus for many years , always 62.5. i also take pramipexole , selegeline and madopar in the morning. i take sinemet cr at ten in the evening,can i just say that you cannot half cr or any slow release tablets because there is a risk of overdose , you can receive the whole dose in one go!

yeh we know that bob has already told us you can get 125mg cr.think me & bob got confused when he said he took half a 25/100 mg cr. thanks tho smiler .do you know why bob is on cr during the day!

as bob said half sinemet 25/100mg is the name of them.! bit confusing i think

sorry if i am confusing things gus , only just back on forum after about 2 years absence i don't know why bob is on cr during the day my consultant told me to only take them before bedtime so they relaxed my muscles

yeh your right i use a 250mg at bed time to help me move around, i got told if you take them in the day time they are unpredictable as the way they releases,nice to meet you smiler

Controlled release tablets are just another way of trying to keep symptoms under control.  Nothing to do with old age as far as I know!!!  I've been on them for several years (one at bedtime - 25 mg/100 mg controlled release).  The theory behind my taking them is to sleep longer.  I take one at 10 pm and then I always wake around 4 - 5 am when I start my daily routine of 62.5 tablets X 7.  I do go back to sleep once the early morning dose has kicked in. I am 48.

I have experimented with CR tablets only during whole 24 hour periods, but this did induce dyskinesia.  I presume there will always be some residue left in one's system and gradually more sinemet than is necessary enters the brain.

i thought thats why,they are not taking during the so much " unpredictable " as they slow releases,ie may cause " dyskinesia" .i also take 250mg cr not to help me sleep but to help me move! sorry but thought i explained this,but  we was just wondering why bob takes them allday ,but as i said if they work for him thats good.

I can only sleep if I can 'move'.  I can't sleep if my muscles are rigid.  Same difference I guess!

hi gus , it is nice to meet you to  ,have you been able to reduce the amount of sinemet  you take since dbs or  have you reduced any of your medication. i have only reduced by one sinemet and i know some can reduce their meds by half .

changed 3 -125mg to 62.5mg  know i take 4-125mg & 3-62.5mg but have added cr 250mg so not really.have you had your yearly review yet ,come off meds & dbs,was not to keen on that happens again on yr 5 !

When I started on Sinemet, it seemed to me logical to go for the CR version , it is slower and, you would think, gives you a smoother, more even distribution of levodopa through the day, so i asked my neurologist why he did not prescribe Sinemet CR during the day, only at nighttime.  Apparently most neurologists  agree. They say that with the CR version the amount of absorbed levodopa is much more unpredictable, it can differ from day to day, so you get much more fluctuation of symptom control. That is also the reason why the lowest dose of Sinemet CR is 125mgr (Sinemet 62,5mgr) They know there is always some wastage/loss of levodopa in the system.

1 Like

We were given the same opinion of Sinemet CR and  offered a trial of it at night but found it no help.

The new slow release version of Sinemet, Rytary, has been very successful in all clinical trials, now completed but production is being held up  for unfathomable reasons.

Any info on when the problems will be overcome would be gratefully received because until the vaccine is available in 6 to 8 years time, it seems the best  drug available now which could  make med routines easier and more manageable for those taking pills every 2 hours or so.

Any info, research?

Thanks

GG

Thank you everybody, that helps.

Bob

Thanks everyone for your responses. Thanks Gus for good advice. I need to ask my doctor about sinemet CR for night time. During a day I noticed I feel worse very tired about 3-5 pm (I take 125mg at 2pm so I should feel better at 3pm not worse..). Could you tell me about physiotherapy; what do you recomend? My left arm is really weak.

Krzysie

i am wondering if maybe you misunderstood your neurologist , most neurologists will start you off on a lower dose and you work up to full dose over a few weeks i was started on 62.5mg  and then told to increase gradually ie take125mg in morning then two 62.5mg during day but then gradually replace the 62.5mg for a 125mg over the course of a few days till your taking 3x125mg a day , i now take madopar 125mg 5 times a day ( every 3 hours )

what are you normally doing at 3-5pm you might be over doing it ! have you tried a soft ball to build strength up 

also when do you have lunch say away from high protein foods,cheese etc

Hi Shelly; I also started on lower dose but increased it to 125 mg because lower dose did't help me too much.
Hi Gus; between 3-5 pm I am finishing my work or driving back from work (builder). Maybe I am just tired after work.. I eat first breakfast at 6.30 am , later big breakfast about10am but for lunch 1pm only fruits (no protein at 1pm). I will try with soft ball to exercise .