When I was a student I had a job in an electroplating unit in a factory. There was a big degreasing tank in the unit, but I didn’t spend a significant time in proximity to it as far as I can remember, perhaps a couple of weeks when shifted jobs temporarily. That was three quarters filled with trichloroethylene, above the liquid level was a dense cloud. It’s hard to believe, but a workmate with long hair, but short on intellect used to degrease his hair by tipping his head forward into that dense cloud. It worked, too. I’ve no idea what his health has been like since - probably died of liver cancer after doing that. In those days health and safety wasn’t like it is today, which I’m sure is the basis of your claim.
I only did that job for two summers, so I don’t think my exposure could have been significant, though I was exposed to copper and nickel solutions.