We need to talk about talking

Hi again Lily,
Thanks for writing back.

I believe that community members can feel frustration when they simply see “post removed” message. I’m a member of other communities myself and I have to say that when I see this, it does focus my attention the removed post. I’ve actually had situations where I begin to try to guess at what was said!

But let’s come back to that.

I think there are situations where it is appropriate to say, ‘Listen, maybe there are others who would not see that as appropriate’ while leaving the comment. I had hoped to do that in the recent assisted dying thread.

But I think there are also situations where to leave the comment and ask for input from the community risks allowing someone to be attacked and worse, asking others to get involved with deciding whether others think it was okay to say x about that person.

In these cases, we try to limit the damage to the community member by removing it then sending a message to the poster to let them know why we removed it. In many cases, we invite the person posting to post again without the attack bit. But maybe broadcasting to the world that we’ve had to remove their post isn’t fair to them if they did not mean an attack.

I think trying to build more trust between staff and others in the community could help to address this. Do you think it could?

Coming back to my first point, is it actually more distracting to have the "post removed" message? Should we get rid of this?
Hi Ezinda

I, personally, don’t like the “post removed” message because it makes me feel as though the remover of the post thinks I have the intellect of a three-year-old.

However, I take your point about the potential risk of allowing others to get involved in deciding whether a post is offensive or not but I genuinely feel that most, if not all, posters on this forum are intelligent people who would contribute with the best of intentions and would strive for fairness if they were invited to comment. Some interesting debates might open up, who knows?

Anyway, I have said enough for now. I wonder what others think?
Dear Luis,

I do rather like your idea about a "tips" section for avoiding confrontation. So here goes:
Mine is , in all honesty ,to run a mile. I think that we all have enough to cope with without getting involved in a controversy that we may or may not understand. Having said that, this stategy would possibly deprive forum members of helpul advice and support.

So- tips:

1) as has been said many times before "think before you post"
2) be aware -is your post intended to be of help to you or of help to someome else?
3) if you recognise your post to be antagonistic to another poster - save it , shelve it. If you still feel that it is an appropriate post - post it
4) Please be aware that any apparently hostile post is directed toward your POSTINGS, not toward you personally ( I can only assume this may be different if you have met in person. In which case it would be outside of the forum's responsibility)
5) remember that what seems pefectly clear and uncontoversial to you may seem to be be a personal attack by those members who are feeling particularly vulnerable.
6) An explanation or an apolology is always welcome.
7) an explanation of a post that confuses /upsets you may always be requested
i feel it is a hard thing to work out if to take a post off completly or not.cus say for instance,if a member is bein attacked alot and the person has been reported by the aimed person and other members as well.i think it should be removed,cus obversley the person bein attacked feels like they have been hurt by wot has been said to them or about them.and dunna wont it broadcasted all over the forum about erm.but on the other hand i find when a post is removed you end up gettin pms off members askein wot has happinined and why has it been took off.so it then ends up that the moderaters have to work out is the post aimed at the member enough to be removed is it offensive enough to be takern off,is it breakin any of the rules.but you will find also some posts are not breakin rules and words have been rittern very good so the post is not breakin the rules,but still is offensive to the member or members.this is always goin to be a issue i guess,thats why i still feel now the moderaters are on the forum and aware and readin peoples posts,they can jump strate in and deal with the situation.moderaters are there to keep there forum happy,you are always goin to get some one sayin ,o did not see wot was rittern before it was removed,cus there is so many people out there readin posts we can not keep every one happy.ive wobbled on ,and no wot im tryin to expalin to ya,u most probs ant got a clue wot im tryin to say,but hey ho ,im tryin:smile: :smile:
Post removed.
That's very funny, Kyloe!

But we do hope that the community can take this issue seriously as it does make a difference for us as well as those who rely on this space. Hopefully sorting this out now means that we can move forward to everyone's benefit.
So - "post removed" is very funny? I now thoroughly and regretfully give up. I wish all who wish their posts to be removed and al those who wish them to be removed the very best in their removal business
Now i`m dying to know what Kyloe posted!!

:question::question:
My previous post shows just how much the current forum desperately needs updating to avoid conflict amd misunderstandings.
A "removed post" should show who removed it and at what time, ie edited by (moderators name) and time of editing.
I Posted the "removed post" myself, but how do YOU the reader know that?

Before we all begin to discuss the differing points of view in relation to how we communicate with each other I would've thought a forum upgrade would be more of a priority?

However....my own pennyworth on how one talks on this and any other forum should be pretty much based on how we as individuals behave to those folk that we meet daily and face in real life. If you would'nt say something to someones face in real life then you should'nt hide behind a computer and say it in the virtual world. In real life there are outspoken people, there are timid peole, there are people who call a spade a spade, there are bully's, there are people with hdden agendas, there are kind people, caring people, thoughtfull and informative people, and all these types are what makes life go tick tock, and the world go round.
Suffice to say we have all these types here within this community but thank goodness the caring, thoughtfull, informative ones far outweigh the minority :grin:
My apologies Ezinda, but I genuinely feel your job would be easiar with the proper tools for the task of moderating, and our forum home would/could be a more pleasant place to visit.
My post demonstrates that the current forum software system is not really suitable and far beyond its sell by date.

Btw....I love Cornwall too :grin:
Well said Kyloe i agree the majority of members are really thoughtful.

And sorry i must be a bit thick to not realise you posted it yourself lol! (Blame it on the pd)!:flushed::confused:
Hi Kyloe

Yes, forum upgrade is very much a priority too and and we are all using inflexible and outdated tools... But it is coming! Very soon!

Cheers

Luis
My idea of a 'BUNFIGHT' aection would solve all these problems. Why have you sidelined it?
Thank you for the explanation Kyloe. It would never have occured to me that someone would post a "post deleted" post to make a point about deleted posts (sorry about the number of posts in this post).
I should be very interested to know exactly what type of forum upgrade is necessary and would be beneficial, specifically in relation to deterring posters from posting posts that upset other posters
My idea of a 'BUNFIGHT' aection would solve all these problems. Why have you sidelined it?

Would you have a bunfight in the real world?

I was always taught that "He that turns and walks away lives to walk another day" :wink:

AB Sorry I confused you, please do keep contributing :grin:
Big C course we dont think your thick or stupid, besides I bet even the mods were asking each other as to who removed my post :grin:

But...... as Ezinda points out this is a serious subject so lets all get the thinking caps on:grin:
Hi spam95

Just to say your idea hasn't been sidelined as such, as Ezinda said, lets just wait for the upgraded forum and see what tools we have to play with.

Cheers

Luis
Every week, many new topics are created. Some of them can be at times contentious and of those, one or two end up in pointless arguments or more seriously personal abuse. It’s all well and good wanting that old chestnut ‘freedom of speech’ (maybe a ‘Speakers Corner’) but remember anarchy is bad. Is it not better to have a few forum members annoyed because a topic has been closed or a few posts edited or deleted, than lose the whole forum to endless bickering?

I think by updating the site and making it more of a social network with facilities to share photos and realtime chat would hopefully bring this forum up to today’s expectations and more importantly discourage abuse. Less stress for the moderators too!!! Less stress all round!!!

Parkinson’s UK is a great place to visit. We have hundreds of visitors, many of whom spend large parts of their waking hours on here. Members have shared experiences, discovered solutions to problems, found alternative points of view, established long term friendships, met partners, even one or two have ended up getting married to someone they first met through this site! It’s much more than a website, it’s a community, and one that I am really proud to be a part of. Long may it continue!!!
Conformity...........just what the blue rinse brigade want!

Show any sign of individuality or sail against the mainstream.....beware!! :rolling_eyes::fearful:
Every week, many new topics are created. Some of them can be at times contentious and of those, one or two end up in pointless arguments or more seriously personal abuse. It’s all well and good wanting that old chestnut ‘freedom of speech’ (maybe a ‘Speakers Corner’) but remember anarchy is bad. Is it not better to have a few forum members annoyed because a topic has been closed or a few posts edited or deleted, than lose the whole forum to endless bickering?

I think by updating the site and making it more of a social network with facilities to share photos and realtime chat would hopefully bring this forum up to today’s expectations and more importantly discourage abuse. Less stress for the moderators too!!! Less stress all round!!!

Parkinson’s UK is a great place to visit. We have hundreds of visitors, many of whom spend large parts of their waking hours on here. Members have shared experiences, discovered solutions to problems, found alternative points of view, established long term friendships, met partners, even one or two have ended up getting married to someone they first met through this site! It’s much more than a website, it’s a community, and one that I am really proud to be a part of. Long may it continue!!!

Excellant post Cutiepie, I firmly believe that if the forum software was "modernised" and became more pleasant and user friendly then attitudes of some members would follow the same route, probaly would'nt even need a thread titled "We need to talk about talking". :question: