What might happen after an accident?

I have read a number of times that falls or accidents can sometimes precipitate or even capitulate pwp's into advanced stages of PD.
After my husbands awful accident on Monday I'm already finding myself looking for signs of rapid deterioration.
At the moment he is receiving care at home from professionals but I feel I have seen signs of worse tremor.
Has this happened to anyone. I would be very grateful for a totally honest reply.
dear jc, at least 10 years ago I was hit by a metal pole (not with intent - a falling washing line pole) Prior to this I had been diagnosed with vertigo, but from this day forth my tremor became pronounced and investigations commenced and eventually PD was confirmed. My mother happened to witness the event.
I do not think the thwack from metal pole caused my PD, but I do think it increased my anxiety levels and also those of my mother's
What I am trying to say is that any nasty experience be it physical or emotional will have an adverse impact. Those with PD will shake more & those that care will worry more
Hi JC.

I'm a great believer in the theory that PD progress in not a smooth line graph but a deterioration over the years in downward steps. I believe that both the initial trigger (either in initial symptoms becoming observable OR the initial professional diagnosis) AND subsequent deterioration points ALL align with significant traumas or periods of major stress in my life.

Once I was diagnosed, and able to look back through life with 20/20 hindsight, I can see the initial symptoms (lack of the sense of smell, tiny handwriting, foot-dragging) starting to appear around age 20. That was the year my mum died.

I started to get panic attacks, high blood pressure, pins & needles in my arms, stooping and leg cramps around age 41. That year I was made redundant.

Problems driving, occasional hallucinations, fatigue and being confused by street lighting etc followed when I was around 46. That was when major organisational change threatened my career, forcing me to transfer from the Highlands (which I adored), to Sussex.

The symptoms all started to get noticeably worse when I was 50, which was when PD was finally diagnosed. This was, surprise, surprise - shortly after my Dad died.

Since then (11 years ago) the number of downward steps has been too frequent to count, but nonetheless I'm certain each was caused by an individual specific trauma, even if not individually identiable. Over that 11-year period of course I was given DAs for 7, suffering 7 years of OCDs as a consequence. This was followed by 2 on bail and 2 being a local item of derision following the mocking coverage in our local press. This period also included losing career, family and everything else, plus two kidney stone ops and an umbilical hernia.

Had I been prescribed the correct drugs in 2000 I am utterly convinced that life would have sailed along smoothly, I would have retired happily and comfortably, and none of the downward PD steps since my father's death would have occurred.

Ray.
Thank you AB and Ray

Being the pessimistic type I'm looking for, and expecting, trouble.
This is what might happen.......

In our case..... O/h in total agony all night and so far today with compacted but seeping constipation on top of injury pain! Carers told yesterday but ignored.
8am I rang their office, explained the hellish night. They arrived empty handed. No wipes, no waste bags, no continence aids, no support for treatment, cleaned him up (with stuff I found!) and left. "It's the cuts, they blithely said.

At 9am I stood on pharmacists doorstep for suppositories and after 2 administrations, a lot of mess and distress for O/h, little had happened but enough to create havoc. O/h now in state of collapse and me, spent.

Defeated, rang surgery for help:
- Receptionist passed me to district nurse who called back
- Nurse informed me she had no authority to do a thing, she rang surgery
- Rang me back. Must be another visit from GP
- I freaked. That will not be until this eve. You'll have gone home
- She rang the surgery again
- Receptionist rang me. Dr has prescribed the enema, written the authority note
but[u]you[/u] must go and collect both from pharmacist. WHAT!!!
- I ring pharmacy. What time could I collect necessary? Pharmacist has stepped
out, don't know if have prescribed drug. If not, not available till tomorrow!!

Oh my god. I think I'm drowning!

Cuts cuts cuts and ridiculous red tape. Utterly disgusting uncaring government Welfare is clearly very low down on their list of priorities ::evil::]
Hi m'dear.

On several occasions I've had constipation so bad that I've been lying on the bathroom floor screaming, wishing I was dead.

If you're not getting the support you should be from the right people, do what I do - call 999 Ambulance. Make sure they hear the screaming.

My wife used to work on the 999 phones for the Sussex Ambulence Service, and she tells me that once a call is logged they're not allowed to close it off until it's been TOTALLY resolved.

And I was NEVER told off!
WE pay for the bluddy service. Don't be afraid to use it!
dear JC, please do as Ray advises & use the emergency services. And do not feel guilty or apologetic for doing so
What would I do without you two. Thanks guys. I'm now crying.

In the meantime the pharmacist rang me to say prescription was there. I drove down to get it and I'm now awaiting DN's call to say when she's coming. If there's any more nonsense I'll do as you suggest Ray. Sorry to say I didn't think of it myself.
During my mad years I became a regular, often without reason, but the ambulance crews never minded! I guess I'm better than a road traffic accident......
After all the nonsense about getting GP to authorise nurse to apply the enema, she rang me to say it would be an hour before she could get here and was I capable of doing it!

What the hell is happening to our medical services? Suppose I wasn't capable? What if I hadn't got non holed plastic bags for the waste this morn, baby wipes, antibac wipes and gloves of my own etc?

ARE WE BEING PLUNGED BACK INTO A DRACONIAN GERM RIDDEN NATION?!
OF COURSE, and you ain't seen nothin' yet!

Go coalition!
If you need it, DON'T HESITATE to call the ambulance. All the ambulance staff I've ever met seem to have retained their compassion, understanding and even sense of humour.

Don't worry, the Govt will soon knock it out of them.......
Thanks Ray. Things have calmed down, o/h is more comfortable and I pray we get some sleep tonight.
Am so shattered. :smile:
JC my hat goes off to you. How you stay so calm and manage I don't know. I bow down in your presence. But please take care of yourself as well. Don't want you being ill.
Personally I have a mixture of views.

What I do believe is naturally if the body is used to something it is very hard to get out of the routine. Naturally if someone is lazy they will find it hard to become motivated again, or if someone is used to getting a bus to town they will find it harder to walk to town than if they did it every day.

To relate that to PD it seems to me that since PD can be about the muscles ceasing up the key strategy to make yourself able to be mobile for as long as possible is to not slip into a path where you become lazy, or just sit in a chair expecting everyone else to do things for you.

In this certain question things like a fall or something bad happening may cause someone with PD to feel low. I dont personally believe the fall could be to blame for things getting worse. In fact it could be the reluctance to be in that situation again. So if the sufferer fell over whilst watering the flowers. Next time they may not be as willing to water the flowers. Take incidents like that into consideration with a PD sufferer and it means they are gradually removing more and more movement style activities from their day to day lives. This basically means that they wont have many things left to stimulate muscles and could well end up just sitting in a chair all day instead. Then when they do something involving moving or muscle activity they find it harder.

As with the extra shaking. Someone with PD of course generally would be feeling more nervous all of the time. If someone without PD had an incident that shocked them they may shake for a few mins while they are getting over that happening.

If that happened (a fall) to someone with PD its of course a shock and since their nerves are already making their hands shake quite possibly it could increase the amount of shaking for whatever amount of time

Thats just what I think
Hello all

Things are not much better. O/h is so stubborn and stoic he doesn't even cry out. He won't let me call an ambulance and as his pain is spasmodic with the peristalsis waves trying to evacuate their cargo, the emergency services would only have my word for it that he's in agony.
There has been much toing and froing of nurses here, myself back and forth to pharmacist (where I've spent a fortune), plus many phone calls, the outcome of which is that o/h is to take a massive dose of Movecol later today. The general consensus (but not mine in this instance)being that natural means are best.
I can't begin to describe what we've been through thus far. It's too disgusting!
Ironic isn't it? If, when o/h was taken to hosp, I hadn't been on my steroid treatment, which portrayed a totally false image of my capabilities as I could for once, walk a few yards without gasping for breath, I'm now told they would never have discharged him into my care.

Merkel. I'm sure you meant well, but my o/h doesn't normally do sitting around. Not enough actually, which contributed to the fall. Not any old fall, but a 7' drop from our loft, which injured his spine and cracked a few ribs. As it happens I think his legs froze just as he took the first rung of the ladder.

Pebble you are very kind but believe me, I have my moments. It particularly makes me cross when I say anything about the involvement of PD in all this and meet the raised eyebrow syndrome. I have to grit my teeth as I can see I'm wasting my breath!
xx
JC I wish I could just sit you down and make you a cup of tea or give you something stronger.

I wouldn't worry too much about a large dose of Movecol at this point in time for your O/h, it only contains-
polyethlene glycol '3350', sodium chloride, sodium bicarbonate and potassium chloride.
Let's hope it does the trick and he will be able to find some relief and with that you too!.

You are in my thoughts, but please if it doesn't work have no fear as others have advised; ring an ambulance , it would be in his best interests.

Keep us updated and try not to fret.

ncn.
Thank you so much ncn.

I'm not worried, just thoroughly aghast, at diabolical decline of medical services, and unhappy that O/H is obviously going to suffer for yet longer.

He's a pretty amazing man. This morning I awoke with a start to find him missing from the bed. He had sneaked downstairs in order not to wake me. Foolhardy in the extreme but so thoughtful nonetheless. He got nothing but an earwigging from me for his efforts.

I cracked just one rib on Xmas day 2010. It was horribly painful, hurt to breathe and as I moved around had to adjust my position constantly to allow the thing to knit. O/h has several, plus the pain and bruising in his back. Hurts me to think about it.
I'm sure many others have had worse injuries. Please be careful people. It simply isn't worth the horrors of injury for the sake of obstinence or other.
Yes, you daft thing, get that ambulance outside your house a.s.a.p., or I'll come round there and give you both a slap! :imp:

If o/h doesn't like it don't tell him till it's too late. And tell him there's been a complaint from the council about the mess! :laughing:

Tell him NHS Accounts have been in touch to say you've paid in so much over the years that they INSIST you start using their emergency services more. :grin:

The sight & sound of their vehicle might even knock some sense into the old beggar! :rolling_eyes:

As for medication for me when I get such problems, my wife uses Dulcolax tablets 5mg (Bisacodyl) and if necessary Glycerol Suppositories. I just close my eyes and scream. :fearful:

NOW GET A MOVE ON!