What might happen after an accident?

Now's the time for the appearance of the latent Margo Leadbetter in you!

:laughing:
Oooh you big bully! But I know you care. The Movecol has produced a good result this eve. What a lovely subject! Maybe things are on the mend. The pessimist in me won't let me say more.

Just to say to everyone. I wouldn't have hesitated to call the para's if things got really out of hand. My three years long ago, as a nursing auxiliary, stood me in good stead during the past 6 days. Every experience counts, as they say.

Good night and have a good one all
xx
Aha, maybe YOU should have been compared to Anna Neagle as Florence Nightingale in The Lady With The Lamp?

Glad things are a little better. Have a restful Sunday.
Good morning all

Things are much better. The medication has done it's work but there's a way to go re seepage as I call it. O/h has admitted that he was in terrible pain such as you describe Ray. Aargh, he is his own worst enemy! If there's a next time I won't hesitate to call in the big guns.
The leaking worries me a bit. That's what started first. Has the bowel been damaged? Any one out there had a trauma that affected the bowel and can relate to what I'm saying? Would be grateful for tales good or bad. I am a person who likes to know what I will/might be dealing with.
Hopefully we'll get into a routine to cope with the pain etc from the injuries themselves, and I'll soon be able to start posting as norm.
Thank you again for all your wonderful support
x jenni
Great news Jenni.

My o/h seems to think the current seepage is just natural residue - nowt to worry about at this stage. The whole "canal system" has a massive capacity and it will take a while to clear.

Now you know what medications work best make sure you always keep a good stock to hand. And make sure he stays regular. If I don't go for a couple of days she's down on me like a ton of bricks!

Lots of fruit is the key, she says, and she gives me a big glass of fruit smoothie every morning.

Take double care.

Ray. x
Hi Ray

Your o/h is a wise woman. I'll bear all that in mind.
Luckily o/h is well catered for. I believe wholeheartedly in five a day and some. He normally has a cast iron digestion and can eat all manner of fruit and al dente veg plus wholemeal foods that my stomach would run a mile from. I buy organic as far as poss which is what makes our food bill so high each week.

As for the meds. Yes I'll keep stocks in. What surprised and upset me was that a similar thing happened soon after o/h went onto PD meds. I simply trotted off to the pharmacist who sold me an enema in a pack and boy did it work. It was all over on the first day of discomfort. When I went back this time after administration of woefully inadequate supplies and unbelievable red tape from NHS (admittedly so by District Nurse)the particular enemas were no longer available. Hence 3 days of hell for o/h.
The protection supplied by RR in the first instance was pathetic. One packet of tiny and incidentally useless pads, before the continence people were supposed to contact us and who never did. I had to buy a certain well known brand of stretchy pants with built in pad at a cost of £7.60 for 10 because I couldn't keep up with the washing and drying. Lots of them!!

Such items were readily available via district nurses until a regular supply was organised from source. Now there is a scant offering of a poor standard product and you must foot the bill of required items in the meantime. So not fair, stripping people of dignity when they have paid their dues all their working lives.
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the most vulnerable in society are the most severely penalised by this uncaring government.:rolling_eyes:
Perhaps the Govt's plan is to keep us all indoors so we can't get out at election time and vote against them............

:imp:
Very pleased to read that things are slowly getting back to normal.
May I suggest a very inexpensive cure for these problems stolen from the Italians.

Every morning a glass of hot water with a large table spoonful of, "Extra Virgin olive oil".
It works wonders taken on a regular basis, not the most pleasant thing to down so you might have to camouflage it with a treat afterwards.
Having said that, it does work and is not expensive and natural.

Glad that things are going , (sorry for the pun) much better. :grin:
You deserve the " Marigold Glove award" of the year! :laughing:

As for the present situation with the government and the way they dish out help for the disabled ; don't let me go there . I'd need four pages of the thread and probably still not have enough space to say what I feel. :imp:
Thank you ncn

What a good tip.
Everybody has been so kind but I'm getting embarrassed. I'm no saint. Ray's wife is obviously incredibly supportive and as I'm sure are most of us carers. It's what you do, when you love someone. Isn't it?
:flushed:
I am so very relieved for you JC that things have improved. So very sorry that you & O/H had such a bad experence and appalled that a fall & it's consequences were made even more painful & stressful for you both by service provision, or rather lack of it
Whilst in no way comparing my needs for support to those of others, your posts here JC and Ray encourage me to accept help when it's offered rather than "no, I'm fine, I'll manage" Even maybe to ask for it
Quite right, no heroes needed.

("No more heroes any more" - The Stranglers. Brilliant!)
Good morning all

Thank you AB. I'm very glad to hear that you will consider asking for help. what people fail to realise when they try to manage everything is that something bad may happen as a result. O/h's example is a bit extreme of course. Not everybody is as barmy as to go into the loft, but any kind of fall can have disastrous and long term consequences.
All the carers that have been involved with o/h have been lovely girls but they are constantly looking at their watches because they have such a short time slot with their clients. I feel concerned about their stress levels, the obvious mistakes that can be made as a result and not least the effect it has on the client. O/h is muttering about managing on our own now because he feels a nuisance!
He'd better not suggest that to them. My fortnight of steroid induced energy has come to an end. The wheezing and shortness of breath is back and my own pain level has gone sky high. I had a job to get through yesterday without dropping off.
Ray. 'No More Heroes' is now my signature tune:laughing:
Morning all

This mornings carer was absolutely lovely and she spent a long time with o/h. The difference it made to him psychologically was pleasing to note.
Yesterday he mentioned that I was now taller than him. So bent is he at the moment. That gave me a start. I've been so flat out I havn't noticed. Wish they would hurry up and get the physio in. I'm told it could be weeks!:imp:
I feel inclined to do a bit of exercise with him myself but I could do him some damage. He needs a collar for a while I'm sure, to help hold his head up a little but of course the neck has to be measured. Any suggestions folks? I feel so frustrated he isn't getting the help he needs right now.
Following an injury, I think it best not to "home physio", however great the temptation. As you say, could do more harm than good. I think your o/h for the moment should just do or not do whatever does not cause even more pain/discomfort.
Re the physio appt - is your's a self referral, via GP,, or the hospital? It seems to make a difference. Mine was a hospital referral & was pretty quick. They actually arrived unannounced & to my complete astonishment. So, whichever referral route, perhaps a call to the hospital physio dept? I believe that they contact the local area team.
I wish I had a magic wand. You know that you have my best wishes
Bless you AB. Unfortunately it is out of my hands. The physio comes as part of the care package. I have emailed O/H's PD nurse, hoping she might call back his PD physio's but unusually she hasn't answered. I fear she is on holiday.
If he were able to get out in the car I would take him to our fabulous private physio but she doesn't do home visits. She's so renowned, she works from 7am in her clinic till 7pm. In any case O/h couldn't stand the pain of going over bumps in the car and again I might damage him.
I am so pleased that a "Care Package " was put in place. May I ask, did you have to fight for it? And was it put in place pre-discharge from hostital? Is it comprehensive enough?? Sorry to be nosey but I have a bit of a thing about this. It seems that often, people are discharged from hospital rather suddenly so no care package. Or did you manage to get one via social serices?
Hello again AB. Actually the way O/H was treated by the hospital was shameful and nothing was arranged. I called the doctor out the next morning because O/H had a high temperature.
The doctor called in the Rapid Response Team, whose remit I believe covers 5 days after which we were handed over to what is termed the Home Enablement Team. That goes on for a month I believe when hopefully O/H will not require carers but if so we then go onto soc services which I really don't relish at all re tales of woe from reliable sources.
I'm not happy at the moment because O/H is not well at all today. His neck is terribly painful, he's holding his head oddly, he looks pale and when he actually complains I know we're in trouble. I'm waiting until 3pm for PD nurse to respond to earlier email and if I have'nt heard anything will be ringing his neuro's secretary. something isn't right here.
What a lot of contacts and bureaucracy to achieve nothong! :rolling_eyes:
Have been worried about O/H. He has slept most of day. We seem to have gone backwards a bit. PD nurse is coming in to see him on her way home. He needs a collar on that neck I'm sure. She is coming in to make sure that he doesn't need to be re-admitted to hosp, before getting PD physio's in asap.