What might happen after an accident?

Jennie,

Take care. MY OH was admitted to hospital recently. I thought it was severe constipation, and we had seen our GP about this twice before. After an examination the GP declared that OH was NOT constipated. Next emergency appointment for the same problem, GP advised to get OH to hospital straight away.

A twisted gut, or Volvulus, to give it its medical name.It can recur frequently and I think we are there, yet again.

A sigmoidospcopy resolved the problem last time but in many respects, I wish it hadn't and there would have been surgical intervention that resolved it for good.

It's like living with a ticking timebomb. Tonight: Movicol, Lactulose plus non prescribed Senokot. Another sleepless night.
benjie

Thank you so much for that. I really appreciate your honesty. O/h is better today and the bowel though still leaking slightly is functioning but I shall be much on my guard.

Apart from that I am so appalled this morning. Our doctor originally called in the care services for my sake. He said he felt I wasn't strong enough to support o/h with washing etc.
Some days after the carers came in, I was shocked to be told by the supervisor that they are not allowed to assist o/h into shower! Having been in nursing for a few years and suffering the consequences of lifting myself re degeneration of discs, I could understand that if it was actually about the carers. But I know of course that it isn't. It's about possible litigation by carers in later years for back problems!!
This morning o/h asked if he could have a shower, hair wash and help to shave. I heard the carer say,"Yes that's fine."
I happened to go upstairs just as carer and o/h left the bathroom.

1. She was in front with not a glance behind her, he trailed painfully behind stark naked and without his stick!
2. Came back up again to observe a shivering shaking o/h trying to put on his own underpants and pad leaning on the wall for support! I stepped in to help! Carer was filling in her report and not looking at him at all! Eventually she did take over from me!
3. Now downstairs I hear sounds approaching top of same and look up. O/h is coming down she is behind him.! I'm horrified, go up to meet him and walk backwards in front of him holding firmly onto support rails! He has not been shaved!

We sit down, have a coffee and a chat (all part of the care thing) and keep my cool with difficulty.
When she left I challenged her at the gate.
She said O/h must do as much as he can independently, she is not allowed to support him physically at all and certainly cannot put herself at risk by walking in front of him on stairs. As to the shave, she felt he could do that himself! With PD hands that is difficult, at present it's seriously painful.

I came back in and read her report. It read, that O/h had stepped into the bath by himself, and dressed himself without assistance!!!

Every step of that procedure was fraught with danger to O/h. I'm livid. What is the point of them being here? I was thinking about what Ray had written about the problems his wife suffers. Clearly in pain, she tends him without assistance. Now there IS a hero.
I think I should take over O/h's care, I would make a better job of it by far tho' it would shatter me in the extreme
Just to say that I don't blame the carers in any way whatsoever, most of them have been treasures. However, today's carer left a lot to be desired.

As to O/H's neck. The PD nurse did not show up, or email, and I'm now awaiting a telephone apt with GP to come through!

Tomorrow I have to drive to Hayward's Heath to be measured up for my the adaptions to my new car. My daughter in law will be here to care for o/h and although she is extremely capable and switched on, I am very unhappy at having to leave him.
Having been a care assistant there is a special safe way to walk a person downstairs holding their hands but not actually in front of them. She should have been taught that.
Thank you Polly. I shall check that out.
Hello again benji

I hope you didn't have the sleepless night you were expecting.

take care JC
Progress! GP is arranging for a CT scan to eliminate nasty possibilities then hopefully urgent physio for Oh :smile:
PD nurse finally rang. I mentioned that I felt OH's PD symptoms had worsened somewhat. She did not as I hoped suggest it was too early to tell. Rather that it was what we might expect!!
Bluddy L! What a saga!

How far is your trip to HH tomorrow, JC?
A quick hello Ray just over 182 miles.
Thinking of you JC, hope things get bettter soon.
Blimey! Round trip, I hope.
You jolly well be careful young lady.
Say hello to my 1st wife for me will you (she lives in HH) - NOT!

Ray x
hi jennie hope all went well today ,and journey was as comhpy as it could be for u x:smile:
Hi Ali. Many thanks. I expect you've seen other posts by now.

Going to bed now. See you in morning :smile:
Dear JC, having had a quick read of yor posts this morning, and knowing a bit about 'care packages', i am shocked how carer treated your partner. Indeed there are restrictions on what they are and are not allowed to physically support people with and stairs are a complicated arena. However for her not to have the humanity to assist him with the basics of dressing, and in particular leaving him cold and naked, it unacceptable, whilst of course carers do not have the role of de-skilling people, neither should they deprive them of basic dignity. It also shows her lack of understanding of Pd of the effects of shock of recent events, plus being cold from the shower, on his symptoms. The team that supplies the carer should have carried out a full assesment and written down, involving yourself and o/h in the assessment, exactly what carer is and is not to do for him,(which should be negotiable and appropriate to his needs) and this service seems below standard. is there a team leader in the team you can address this with? i appreciate it all takes additional energy, etc... but care is there to support both you and him and if it is heightening your anxieties, its not adequate. Sadly team is likely to lack detailed knowledge of the vagaries of Pd but then you are there - expert - to inform them, they should be asking you for info to inform their assessment, and willing to listen.
Good morning Jo

Thank you for your helpful advice. I think we just had a poor carer that morning. I had to leave OH in the care of others yesterday and apparently the carer was excellent.
Today's was fantastic. So understanding and was very interested to hear all that we could possibly tell her re PD within her time slot.
I will be reporting the poor carers lack of empathy and skills to the supervisor. As you say it takes time and energy but she doubles as a carer and should be here tomorrow. It will be easier to discuss it over coffee than make a formal complaint over the phone.
I am really exhausted today after my travels yesterday and minor accident on the way home so can't face a big issue at the moment.
Hi again all. Message from doctor late morn. Had to take OH for xray on his neck this aft. Nasty pain filled ride for him but got immediate results. No fractures! This is excellent. The doc had already said she felt it was whip lash and I think I agree. He still has a CAT scan coming up.
Hopefully now he'll get some physio.
Really glad to hear carers have greatly improved. Good you will offer feedback re the one who was poor, tis important so it can be addressed. Hope some more strength finds you in this difficult times. Pleased to hear your good (relatively good) news today too. best wishes.
Hello Jo and thank you for your advice and kind wishes.

I certainly will report the bad carer. It seems a harsh thing to do because she was kind and friendly with two young teenage daughters to care for alone but that of course does not excuse her actions. Especially as she was an experienced carer.
On reflection, she seemed fairly distracted.

OH is doing really well considering what happened. He has awful difficulty rising from a lying position and getting in and out of chairs etc but can shuffle about quite well now for short periods although the ribs cause him a lot of discomfort. I think him being fairly laid back is helping although sometimes his stoic nature does us both no favours.
Hello all

Thought I would report back on carer issue. I decided after all to tackle the girl myself so put my counsellors hat back on.
As I suspected this girl is going through hell. After listening carefully I pointed out her failings on the day in question. She was apologetic but not profusely so. After a little general conversation she suddenly dropped a bombshell and I thought, "No way should she be a carer her ethos is totally wrong."
Now I have a dilemma. If I report her, she may lose her job, has two young daughters to support, lives in a perpetual state of fear re trying to survive economically anyway and in the light of dismissal would be very unlikely to get work of any kind. There are just too many applicants chasing any one job and from what I hear there are many worse carers out there!:rolling_eyes:

Apart from that thorny issue, OH is doing well re his injuries. He's getting about quite well is interested in getting back to doing the pottery things he used to do and is very concerned about our Labrador not getting his daily walk. Before anybody worries we have a two acre garden and apart from his sorties and frolics with our other dog in the garden I play frisbee with him for 20 mins morn and night.
However there is no doubt that his PD symptoms are worse. I've noticed these little changes during the past two weeks and am wondering is it too early to tell?
Hi JC.

Yes, I think it's too early to tell yet. His poor body (and mind) have so much to cope with at the moment that no one function will be operating as well as it will do later when a lot more mending has taken place.

As for the carer, don't get involved in her problems. I think we've see you do so before, haven't we, to your own detriment? You've got enough on your plate. Answer me this: if things were the other way round would she help you? I think not. I suggest that having got yourself involved (nit!) your best bet now is to suggest to her that she resigns and disappears before coming a cropper formally.

Ray.