Anxiety

Ive had Parkinson’s for over ten years now.but lately my panic attacks have gone into melt down.even the thought of going out scares me too death.dr put me on fluexotine but its doing no good.anyone been through this and can help as I’m at the end of my tether i

2 Likes

Hi Foxy,
We’re sorry to hear you’re having a rough time. You will find quickly here that you are most assuredly not alone in these feelings. Have a look at this forum discussion, and here’s another. Also please consider calling our free and confidential helpline. Our advisors are wonderful and highly trained and can help in ways that might surprise you. You can reach them at 0808 800 0303. Many of our forum members can attest to their helpfulness and breadth of knowledge.
In the meantime please accept our warmest wishes and welcome,
Jason
Forum Moderator

1 Like

@Foxybuns46

I have had PD for approximately 16 years, and I know exactly how you feel. I have , over the years tried Citaloopram, E-citalopram, Vortextine and now on Sertraline, Propranarol and Lorazapam! I find anxiety is worst symtpom for me, been bad today, fidgety, unable to concentrate, panicky, head feels like treacle, and on days like today, cannot go out, no motivation to do anything, sorry you feeling anxious too.

1 Like

Hello Foxbuns46 and LittleMixWorry
I too live with anxiety and although nowhere near to the extent the two of you describe, I can understand how difficult it is to manage and stop it spiralling out of control even when you know in your heart of hearts it’s not rational. I don’t have any magic answers but wondered if you had tried anything like meditation or one of the relaxation techniques. They are not a quick fix and take practise but can be very effective in balancing out the strong anxiety and irrational voice in your brain that shouts loudest at these times, to something calmer and which allows rational thinking back in. It may be worth giving it a go. There are some good videos and information on the internet. Counselling may help you recognise what if anything is an underlying contributing factor. Finally this is a bit of a wildcard and I have no personal experience but you never know it might help - hypnosis. These may all seem a bit crazy but it’s just thinking a bit differently and when its affecting your lives so much maybe a bit of off the wall thinking could give you back some control.
I wish you both well for the future and hope you find a way from somewhere to bring some peace to your lives.
Tot

Thanks Tot, have tried all what you have suggested, including “tapping”. However hypnosis is one I tried years ago, and so will try again.

Snap 10 years living with parky and recently anxiety has reared its ugly head i was prescribed citalopram and its hasnt worked, i find the anxiety symptons really exacerbate my p.d. Any advice from fellow sufferers would be greatly appreciated.
Good luck and thanks

1 Like

My anxiety is seriously horrendous, so sorry to hear you sugger also. I just want a break from my head, want to stop thinking constantly… loosing all friends due to social anxiety,…sorry for rant.

1 Like

I posted a reply but it was “hidden”. I only noticed this when I hAD logged in to repOst another reply which had been hidden. ThE Message was the saME.:

“This is an automated message from Parkinson’s UK Forum to let you know that your post was hidden.
Your post was flagged for moderator attention: the community feels something about the post requires manual intervention by a staff member.
This post was hidden due to flags from the community, so please consider how you might revise your post to reflect their feedback. You can edit your post after 30 minutes, and it will be automatically unhidden.
However, if the post is hidden by the community a second time, it will remain hidden until handled by staff.
For additional guidance, please refer to our community guidelines 1.”

No indication given as to what aspect of content is being objected to. So I shall attempt to post it agaIN

originally posted 3/9/22
Don’t forget to check if symptoms you are experiencing are caused by drugs you have been taKING

Risks and side effects of levodopa drugs
Other common side effects include: anxiety and depression

Handbook of Movement Disorders K Ray Chaudhuri et aL 2009 Current Medicine Group, a part of Springer
Levodopa-related complications: Nonmotor (“off”-period) [includes] akathisia, restless legs, depression, panic attacks,

https://www.drugs.com/pro/sinemet.html Sinemet Generic name: carbidopa and levodopa updated on Jun 1, 2022.
4 Possible side effects: mental changes including …depression…feeling anxious

Madopar 100 mg/25 mg Dispersible Tablets - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) Madopar 100 mg/25 mg Last updated on emc: 17 Jan 2022
4. Possible side effects: Mental problems: [includes] Feeling anxious, depressed

Stalevo Last updated on emc: 12 May 2021 4.8 Undesirable effects: Psychiatric disorders - Common: Depression, anxiety

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/8395546_Prescribed_drugs_and_neurological_complications
PRESCRIBED DRUGS AND NEUROLOGICAL COMPLICATIONS K A Grosset, D G Grosset J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2004;75(Suppl III):iii2–iii8.

In epidemiological studies between a third and a half of parkinsonism is caused by medication… Extrapyramidal symptoms [akathisia, parkinsonism, dystonia & taRDIVE Dyskinesia] are associated to a lesser extent with all groups of antidepressants (tricyclics, monoamine oxidase inhibitors, and SSRIs…A Cochrane systemic review concluded that there are insufficient data on the effectiveness and safety of antidepressant therapies in Parkinson’s disease…some patients report worsened parkinsonism

Sertraline Patient Information Leaflet Last updated on emc: 14 Dec 2020
4. Possible side effects: Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people): anxiety, depression…shaking, muscular movement problems (such as moving a lot, tense muscles, difficulty walking and stiffness, spasms and involuntary movements of muscles), numbness and tingling, muscle tense, lack of attention, abnormal taste,…increased sweating, back pain, muscle pain, chest pain,

https://www.drugs.com/prozac.html#side-effects
Prozac Generic name: fluoxetine Medically reviewed by Sophia Entringer. Last updated on Dec 1, 2021.
Report any new or worsening symptoms to your doctor, such as: mood or behavior changes, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, or if you feel impulsive, irritable, agitated, hostile, aggressive, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), more depressed, or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself.

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/lorazepam-side-effects.html
Lorazepam Side Effects Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 12, 2022.
Aggression, aggressive behavior, aggressiveness, agitation/states of agitation,
anxiety, behavioral disorder, hallucinations, hostility, inner restlessness, insomnia, irritability, loss of reality, nightmares,
panic attacks, psychoses, rage, restlessness, suicidal attempt/ideation, tension/states of tension,

1 Like

I know it’s an old thread but I’m a big advocate of meditation for anxiety, just 15 minutes every day makes the difference for me. Noticably worse when I haven’t done it. Appreciate might not work for everyone though.

Anxiety and Parkinson’s are a terrible combination. Sadly, it’s a common thing, as can be seen from the answers on this thread. A really bad thing is that the medication you’re taking is not helping and it can even be the cause you’re feeling this way. You must talk about this with your doctor, or even ask for a second opinion if the medication is not helping. You can also talk to a therapist because they will know what medication is better for you.
Once you get the right medication you can look into other ways of dealing with Anxiety. My go-to technique is guided meditation, and I’ve been using it for years. It takes time for meditation to work, and you must be doing it daily. Within some time it can become the most effective and less harmful way to beat anxiety and put yourself in the right mood. I also have a list of anxiety affirmations that I repeat to myself every day and they work great for calming my body. Some of the most powerful affirmations are listed here.