Dbs

I was put on the list for deep brain stimulation in July last year and was told the waiting list is about a year.

It will take place in Oxford. I am worried that the Coronavirus may have delayed the waiting times. Is anyone else on the list and how long have you been waiting?

Hi @carolineb211, :wave:

Welcome back to the forum.

I definitely empathise with you on this, I can imagine how unnerving it must be for you right now. I’m sure you’ll hear from other members with their own experiences, DBS is quite a popular topic on the forum and there are a number of threads that you may find helpful - I’ve listed a few for you below:

I hope you find this helpful, for more support on this, please feel free to give our helpline a call on 0808 800 0303.

Best wishes,
Reah

Hi @Reah, thank you for bringing me in on this, I will do my best to reassure Caroline.

Hi @carolineb211, I have got a DBS so I hope I can help. As it is, I sympathise with your frustration at being put on such a long waiting list and this Corona Virus isn’t helping any of us, hang in there and try to stay in positive thought it WILL be worth it when you actually have it done. Naturally, when you do go for the operation they will have to check that you haven’t got or had Covid-19. Oxford is a very good hospital(John Radcliffe), I had mine done at Addenbrookes, Cambridge in 2013. Once it is done you will wonder what all the fuss was about. If you need to talk at anytime just use the @ thing and I will be here for you. In the meantime try not to fret over the delay, it isn’t worth it, take care and stay safe.

Les

1 Like

Thank you for your response. I just have to wait to hear I guess

@carolineb211, Be sure to let me know when you get your date and may be we can talk again about what you’re about to go through. In the meantime, take care and stay safe.

Les

My wife had DBS at John Radcliffe we didnt have a great experience, no bed available we had to be there 7:30am I had to bed bath her no meds allowed ofcourse. had the operation not until 7pm a bed was found, next day I go to visit and she was being discharged not a great time. The dysconesia is stopped but cordination and mobility suffered badly. Also trouble with her voice. Butwe dont know what life would be like if it hadnt happened.