DVLA Lisence Issues

Great news for both Gaz & Leyther.
EF

I echo the last statement! Gaz, you certainly had a bad experience, which caused you unnecessary stress.

My particular issue is not so much with the DVLA, (although they do seem to be dragging their heels with my appeal), but with my Neuroloqgy dept. If they had been efficient and provided an accurate report of my condition, none of this would have happened and I'd still be driving. I'm furious that mistakes and bad management can do this to someone.

Just wondering if I should take it further, with the hospital complaints procedure.

Twinks.

Thanks, Sheffy, EG & Twinks.

Good luck with yours, Twinks, whichever route you decide to take.

Gaz

Hi Leyther forgot to mention your good luck with your licence,  hope it continues with the PIP!!

Sheffy

Twinks, I would complain. Poor standards are rife because people are too weak/scared/knackered to complain!

I agree with Tabbycat ...you should follow up on your complaint.

Your neurologist should never have sent the letter that was sent from his office. The fact that he told you he had not seen it before it was sent off, shows really bad practice in that hospital department for which they HAVE to be accountable for.

Their mistake has had huge consequences for you - that were completely avoidable!

Take it further, otherwise it could well happen again!!

Luck shouldn't come in to it Sheffy

We should have proper assessments and that goes for regular assessments of all drivers

The roads have changed, the amount of traffic and phenomena like road rage should be addressed

Mandatory driving refresher courses every ten years imo.

I rang the DVLA today to check the progress on my driving licence appeal, begun in January. Last week they sent another form for my neurologist to complete, which he did quickly this time, unlike before, when it took him 2 months to respond. Hopefully it has been filled in correctly second time round! DVLA said I would find out their decision, within the next 9 weeks! I am sick of being messed around by so called professionals and having my independence robbed from me.

I have come up with a thought. Parkinson's can only be definitely diagnosed when we're dead, by an autopsy. So technically none of us should have to even inform the DVLA of our problems. They obviously haven't a clue what the condition entails anyway and lump us all together under the same umbrella. We know if we're fit to drive or not and when we're becoming a danger to ourselves and other road users. Why can't we be trusted to use our own judgement? I find it quite insulting to be treated so badly.

Probably another of my mad ideas, but would welcome your thoughts.

Twinks.

Heere's a thought or Idea.. it's quite simple.

PUK ask's the Dvla how many accidents an occurances of unsafe driving due to People with Parkinsons.

When they come up with a figure approx zero...

the world can move on and stop wasting time.

Good thought, sea angler. I think we make better drivers than most, as we take extra care, so we don't cause accidents.

Exactly!! and if we wernt honest as that is how we have to live with what we have we wouldnt be bothering telling the dvla would we.

A little honesty back from them would go a long way.

That's the problem these days, the government treats adults like children who can't be trusted.

I like Sea Angler's idea of getting some statistics.

I sent an email this morning, to Oliver Morley, who is the big boss of the DVLA.

I asked for statistics of how many people with Parkinson's, had caused accidents in the last 10yrs? Also, how many had had their driving licence refused in the last year? Pointed out a few more home truths as well. So we'll see if any response is forthcoming.

I'm not holding my breath!

If you don't hear back soon, repeat your request but do it under the Freedom of Information Act. This means they will have a deadline to respond to you within.

https://www.gov.uk/make-a-freedom-of-information-request/the-freedom-of-information-act

Thanks for that info., Tabbycat. Never knew about such a resource.

Hi

I wonder if you can help. My father has just been diagnosed with PD and we are just getting him to fill in the forms to notify the DVLA can you tell me if he is still able to drive while they consider whether he can keep his licence. Thank you. 

Yes he is.

The DVLA will contact his neurologist and GP and then make a decision about his licence. I've just been through this process, it took about six to eight weeks, I think. 

Hi Elaine if I remember right it tells you on the form that you can still drive, but that is also down to the individual as to whether they feel well enough to drive, I still drove while I waited for my licence to come through, it took approximately 2 months, sometimes it takes longer!

Hope your Dad copes well with the parkinsons, if you need any advise there is always someone on the forum that will help in any way they can, or you can always try  the helpline number 0808 300 0303

Best Wishes - Sheila

Eurika!

After battling to get my driving licence back, since January, it has finally arrived......and for 3yrs.!! My complaint to the hospital is being dealt with by PALS,  so that's going to go down well with my neurologist and PD nurse!

The FOI act will soon be providing the information I requested about Parkinson's drivers, so things are looking up.

The only downside is that my poor, dear, 93yr. old Dad, is slowly fading away, with cancer. At least me and my sister are with him and taking care of him.

Good wishes to all those fighting to keep their driving licence.

Twinks.

Great news, Twinks, glad it's all sorted.

Sorry to hear about your dad, but at least now you can take care of him. 93 is a tremendous age, especially for someone in poor health.