DVLA Lisence Issues

Thanks Tabbycat. I'm so relieved. I know there will come a day when I won't be able to drive, but that's a long way off, I hope!

Dad's a bit brighter today and I managed to cut his hair and nails.

Thanks for your comments.

Brilliant news about your licence, Twinks.

Sorry to hear about your old Dad, though, all you can do is make him as comfortable as you can.

I was diagnosed with the early stages of Parkinson's, mainly because my hands shake occasionally. I was not proscribed any tablets. As a result of the diagnosis I have had to inform the DVLA which I have done. I have now received 2 forms one to surrender my licence and one to keep my licence. I want to keep my licence. One of the questions are, "Do I have involuntary movements". Does that include my hands shaking? If it does would it immediately stop me from being granted a licence?

Also I was at a loss to understand Section 88 and why it would help me if I surrender my licence. They seemed to say if I surrender my licence they will deal with any new application faster if I suddenly get better. Could it be advantageous to surrender my licence under any circumstances? I obviously want to continue driving as I am the only driver in our house plus I haven't even paid for the car yet.

Hi prentonboy - the answer to that is simply 'no' it does not include your tremor. Involuntary movement means if your arm/leg jump or move suddenly to which you have no control. Don't surrender your licence, still apply for it no matter how long  it takes it's worth it!! Any problems with the form ask the helpline or your local citizens advice or local parkinsons help worker.

Any other questions just ask - Sheila

Thanks for the prompt reply. It put my mind at rest with regards to the DVLA smile

Hi Prentonboy,

As long as you think you're safe to drive, do not surrender your licence. Sheila is right, an occasional hand shake does not need to be mentioned to the DVLA. They take a g e s to renew a licence that has previously been refused. Also, you have no meds. to declare on the form, so all should be good for you. Keep us informed and good luck!

Twinks.

Hi all i have had a email response from the DVLA after a 31 week wait for renewal of my licence and been told it will be at least another 16 weeks ! before they even review it. This is just an utter joke as they have had problems since 2012 so why have they not addressed this. I am virtually a prisoner in my own home with limited mobility. It is about time this was sorted. If I was not depressed before I certainly am now stuck in my home !!

Hi Mally, I know how you feel and fully sympathise.....these DVLA decisions are taking far too long, causing more unnecessary stress and disruption to our lives.

Perhaps we should all write to Oliver Morley (boss of DVLA) and bombard him with emails, letters, questions etc.? Or make a fuss to the media?

I found ringing the Medical section of the DVLA, on a regular basis, worked better than emailing. When I finally got mine back on 1st. April, two days later I got another letter saying they hoped to be able to renew my licence in the next 14 days. Der......I'd already got it......so who was the fool?!! I sincerely  hope you are driving again soon Mally.

Twinks.

Hi Mally -

See my earlier posts (75,76 & 79). They might help.

Gary

Hi everyone, 

I'd just like to remind some of our newer members and those of you who may not know, Parkinson’s UK helpline advisers can help when you are having problems with the DVLA. They can specifically help with your case when:

• You have been waiting for six months or more on a decision, and have tried to follow-up with the DVLA.
  • You require a driving license as a core part of your job, and you have not heard back for three months.

If you are experiencing these issues contact the helpline on 0808 800 0303. Opening hours and further information can be found at: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/helpline

Thanks

Kat

Hi Twinks I have made a formal complaint and the nest step if I am not satisfied is to write or email Mr Morley direct 

Thank you for your reply

Mally

Hi Gaz thank you for that I have read the posts I have already made a forma complaint and shall await the outcome of that then shall contact helpline and Mr Morley direct if no joy

Mally

Hi again wish I had not surrendered it but I had DBS at the same time of my next assessment but that would probably been 6 months later than it should. Typical

Mally

Hi Mally,

I really do feel your frustration. When the DVLA write for a report from our neurologists, it's often out of date and sometimes (in my case) totally incorrect. As it takes the DVLA so long to make a decision and decide our fate, things have changed with our condition and the information they received is not applicable!

We should NOT be persecuted like this, adding more stress and inconvenience to our already disrupted lives.

Good luck and keep fighting.

Twinks.

Best of luck, Mally.

Thank you Kat,

i have made a formal complaint so will await the response and contact you if I am not satisfied 

mally

Hi all

good news I recieved a letter today for myself to ring Driveability uk and arrange a appointment for a driving assessment. l will keep you updated when i get a date and the progress of my assessment.

Andrew

Hi Andrew, I should think you will do ok, if you feel you are capable of  driving then you will pass no bother, and hopefully get a three year licence.

Best of luck - Sheila

Finally got some statistics from FOI.

How many people with Parkinson's were the cause of accidents in the last 10yrs.?     Answer:  0

How many had their licence refused or revoked in 2015?     Answer: Group 1 (cars/motorcycles). 1,338

Group 2 (buses/lorries).    27

Also got a response from PALS at York hospital, about wrong information sent to the DVLA by my neurologist, resulting in my driving licence being refused. Would you believe.....it was all due to the 2014 Christmas garbage truck crash!!!! Unbelievabloodyble

It beggars belief Twinks, they tar everyone with the same brush. How about those killed by drink drivers and young tearaways, and driving without due care and attention??

Do the DVLA think we don't know our own minds as to wether we are capable of knowing if we are safe to drive or not?

Hope you can get through to them to overturn their decision

All the best - Sheila