DVLA Lisence Issues

Interesting twinks

Just as i thought then Twinks and we are sensible enough to know when we are not fit to drive.

Does anyone from puk care to comment on the figure 0 ??.

Hi Sea Angler, thanks for flagging this. It's really interesting to see these figures.

Twinks, are these England-wide stats, or from a specific local authority? You might have seen that we posted up a web story recently with stats from the DVLA which showed that fewer than 800 people had their licenses revoked, so there seems to be a bit of a discrepancy there. 

I completely understand how frustrating it can be when licenses are revoked, or vital supporting information doesn't get through. It is possible to appeal these decisions, but this falls outside of the tribunals system, so it would incur a cost. 

Please send your experiences to me at [email protected], as we have an ongoing relationship with the DVLA.

Hi Phil

I read were you would look into cases where people have waited 6 months or more after failed contact with the dvla for want of a better word, and where that it is core part of their Job

But what about including those who have or live in area's where there is no public transport, i seem to remember some one else in this thread, forgive my memory struggled when they lost their licence with no or little public transport available had to walk a considerable amount of miles, my self i live in a rural location the nearest town and transport is 10+ miles away we have no bus service, many rural area's are now without one.

Shouldn't those people in such cases be included too?.

Hope you make use that figure 0.

Hi Phil,

I have just emailed you the information I received from the DVLA.

And yes, Sea Angler, it was me who said I lived out in the sticks, with very limited public transport. Not quite as bad as you though, with no buses at all!! That must have a devastating effect on your life, especially if you think you're fit to drive.

It's about time the whole area of 'driving with Parkinsons' was reviewed.

Apparently the DVLA are tightening up their rules and regulations for driving, even more, since the Glasgow garbage truck crash in 2014.........God help us!

Hi twinks 

PD is a strange thing as I can't walk but I can walk backwards, jog ,drive , but when I try to walk forward I can't I freeze ect , I was going to tell neuro my legs don't work but reading some posts on here I will be careful how I word it just in case he gets any bright ideas ! .  Due to see him 17 May  thanks to everyone for your input on this as a slip or the tongue could cost a licence 

many thanks Ian xx

There is no such manoeuvre as a three point turn. The correct expression is a turn in the road usinf forward and reverse ģears. Unless you were causing a real problem to others the criticsm wás unfair
The incident in Glasgow was due more tothe driver blatantly lying rather than the dvla failing. As a former traffic cop i was appaĺled at the way it was handeld.

Hi Twinks,

i have been and had my assessment with DrivAbility and very nice and professional they were too and also very understanding. I surrendered my licence myself due to Dystonia but one year on after DBS and not a hint of it since operation day decided it was time to apply for my licence back.

I did however put a formal complaint in after six months from applying for it back then all of a sudden had a letter to make arrangements for my assessment (very strange lol). Anyway had my assessment third of May and got through it all okay and they told me that they would recommend to DVLA that I could have my licence  back. Yaaaaay just waiting for it in the post, that will probably be delayed too from DVLA. At least I know it is on its way.

mally

Hi Mally

nice to hear some good news fair play to you well done! 

Good luck Ian 

Hi Mally

can you tell me how was your walking before you had dbs  ?  

All the best Ian 

Hi Mally,

Sorry, I've not been on the forum for a while......had a lot going on recently:(

So pleased to hear your good news! Let's hope the DVLA don't drag their heels over giving your license back.

Its a shame we have to complain and make a fuss before things get done, but I'm getting quite good at it now!!

Best of luck and enjoy being behind the wheel again.....when it happens!

Twinks.

Hi Ian,

walking is better but do still get tired but overall much better just to get rid of the Dystonia was the main goal and is superb not to be thinking it could come on at any time such a relief 

Andrew

Hi andrew

must be a good feeling for you now it's funny how something can go on that long you probably expect it to happen yet relief that it doesn't , good luck to you 

all the best Ian 

Hi everyone

I'm in a bit of a dilemma when i was diagnosed in January my neurologist told me that i didn't need to contact the DVLA at this early stage, however i decided to phone the DVLA anyway i explained what my neurologist had said and the gentleman on the phone said ok but i should contact them if my circumstances got any worse.

my questions are : have i been lucky? or should i have some i have some documentation in case i was involved in any future accident ?

hope this makes sense.

Hi Kensington

the minute neuro told me I had Parkinson's the first thing he said contact the dvla . And your insurance always ask if you have any changes well you do you now have PD tell them good luck and welcome to the journey take care

ian

Hi Kensington,

I am somewhat surprised at what the neuro said to you and the way your telephone call went.

Quoting from the PD UK publication  Parkinsons and You - An introduction to Parkinson's Disease:   "it is a legal obligation to inform the DVLA of your diagnosis.  The insurance should be told of this change in circumstances but I have not come across anyone who has had any alteration in their insurance due to this.  The most usual thing seems to be an enquiry to the neuro by the DVLA followed by the issue of a 3 year restricted licence  or perhaps a 1 or 2 year licence.  If you have to send your licence you are entitled to drive until such time as a decision is made and you can have a letter to this  effect as it can take months before you finally get the new licence.   

I was diagnosed in April this year. As yet I do not take any medication, I was advised to phone the DVLA which I did. Yesterday I received the verdict of the DVLA medical assessment in that I must hand in my licence which was valid until 2022 and I will be issued with a new photo licence which will be valid for 3 years. This is what I was expecting. I was told I could carry on driving until anyone said anything different. The consultant said I could drive and the DVLA said it was up to the Consultant. 

I was worried about telling the Car  Insurance Company but in  truth they didn't seem all that interested although they said they made a note of it. I didn't have to pay any extra and my Insurance cost has not gone up for the new renewal.

I had a holiday booked so I thought I should tell the Travel Insurance people but again they made a note of it and sent me an amendment including Parkinson's and again their was no extra cost. 

Ah the joys of the DVLA! I swear they are a law unto themselves! So angry right now evilMy OH notified the DVLA about his PD years ago and has successfully renewed his licence ( hes on a 3 year renewal) up until this one when the DVLA decided to send him for a driving assessment. No problem we thought, hes lucky he doesn't have any problems driving on or offline..the only thing is online he is obviously more fluid but offline can still handle the car with no problems.

So off we go to this RDCA or whatever it was called and the OT and assessor who to be fair to the bloke was about as friendly as a rock! said to my OH this is not a driving test ( yeah right) we want you to relax etc etc took my OH out for about an hour in the car. Now its all very well these clipboards saying you are not on a test but when you have someone sitting next to you who is analysing your driving your nervous and instantly lose all the habits you've gained and drive, to a degree, like you have not long passed your test...Needless to say my OH did really well, no safety issues that I could see if anything he was a little more cautious than usual but that's understandable. Anyway, we get back and the assessor says he has some concerns about his judgement?? apparently he didn't overtake a cyclist when the assessor thought he should have, now I was there, the cyclist was on a hill two junctions crossing this hill with cars waiting so, as I would have done he waited until he could see ( he did not feel it was safe to overtake so his judgement as a safe driver was to wait until it was clear) 

The DVLA have revoked his licence! Im fuming! He has not had a Assessment to drive from his GP and the DVLA cannot give us a specific reason as to why his licence has been revoked, the letter just says after your assessment we have decided that your PD has deteriorated and is affecting his safety and judgement ( this is from this report!) Obviously we are appealing the decision but my question is can the DVLA revoke your licence without my OH attending his GP for an assessment to drive? surely they cant do this based on one persons view as to whether you should or shouldn't overtake thats down to each individual driver...as we all drive differently some more aggressive than others.

I cant see any reason at all as to why they have done this but we cant afford to take it to court and have booked to see his GP this morning. If anyone has any advice or similar experiences with thee people Id be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks in advance :):):):)

Hi Beth13,

I feel your anger and frustration, having had my driving licence refused earlier this year. Thankfully got it back within 3 months from appealing. Mine was a slightly different scenario, (as can be read in earlier posts), but my advice would be to see your husband's neurologist or PD nurse and make sure your OH is calm, confident in order to get a favourable report to send to the DVLA. Ask for the hospital report to be sent to you ASAP, so you can post it on and include a short accompanying letter, stating the facts you mentioned and the unfairness of the assessors comments. Try not to show too much emotion. Ring the DVLA to make sure they have received your letter and PD report from the hospital, after one week, then every fortnight or so, ring them to find out when you might be getting a decision. 

Good luck and hope this helps.

Twinks.

[Post edited by moderators] 

Hi Twinks

Thanks for your reply :) I read your posts earlier and god didn't they have you chasing your tail! After almost 13 years of learning how to deal with the ignorance of some government bodies with regards to PD and HOW it actually affects my OH I'm well prepared for the DVLA and have already started putting my OH's case together. I've made an appointment for him to see his GP for an assessment, I sent a letter (recorded ) to the DVLA requesting the medical notes they have and also the RDCA report, I've spoken to a solicitor ( thankfully I know one) so I'm armed. When I get the reports from the DVLA I will pull it to pieces because I've found loads of evidence including there own DVLA drivers guide on what to do if...and also the assessment itself in PDF which again contradicts everything they have said.

I am just going to word it carefully and succinct and not leave them in any doubt that they have made the wrong decision, I will be sending them the assessment from the GP too and am also going to book my OH an off road driving assessment with an independent and get them to sort a report just for extra ammo.

I think its the age old thing with me, it never ceases to amaze me how many governing bodies, medical professionals etc that still really have no clue about PD they think its all black and white and its not, its a day to day, hour by hour change and challenge. Whilst my OH is safe to drive its vital for him to do so hes lost so much thanks to PD and I will not let some Dr who probably has only read about PD in a textbook and read a report written by someone who's knowledge of PD he could fit on the back of a stamp take away more of his independence. Promise I wont put that bit in the letterbig grin

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply...will keep you posted xxx