Sex, Lies and Parkinsons

Vicki - awesome

Eamonn did at least do some homework, he got Ray Kennedy (Arsenal/Liverpool), Hitler, John Paul II, Muhammad Ali ... which makes him an expert.

He wasn't happy at being corrected about the drug "slowing things up". That's when he interrupted Vicki's quip about shaking like a leaf.

A totally bewildering display from Eamonn and it has to be said, the entire This Morning team.

As soon as Eammon said whats worse the symtoms or more love making- up pops a caption "Parkinson's Medication made her want more sex!"

Vicki how you managed not to lassie slap him I'll never know.

This topic was on This Morning before. An elderly couple had been on about how this chap had brought financial ruin on his family due to Parkinsons drugs. All he got was 5 minutes followed by no advice, a cursory good luck with that and as I recall it might have been followed by a phone in competition and summer fruit pudding.

Its funny how these drugs are never named and neither are the drug companies.

Where was Dr Chris or Dr Hillary? Or some Parkinson's expert.

Vicki, well done. Considering your job was made doubly hard by the dynamic duo interrupting youand trying to infer that the drug enhanced your sex life, sorted your symptoms, so the problem is ... what exactly?

At the end I thought Ruth was envious and Eammon wanted to move on sharpish to the summer fruit pudding. It was Vicki who kept trying to turn the conversation back round to highlight the adverse effects of the drugs, the need for more money/research. Brilliant.
hi ECK, i agree with the points your making.

I just returned home from my routine Neuro appointment! I told him about the Documentary on C4 tonight and about Vicki's interview with Eammon on This Morning programme. He was unaware of the C4 documentary going out at 7pm tonight. However he called his wife there and then and asked her to record it for him to watch. I told him Eammon's attitude during the interview was to treat it as a bit of a joke, particularly joking about the increased sex drive. My Neuro was not amused and questioned why was there not a medical expert or someone from PUK on hand to highlight the potentially very serious side to this. I know my Neuro speaks as someone who has seen a number of his patients end up on the wrong side of the LAW on sex charges due to Dopamine Agonists.

Vicki, i would be interested to know, was it your decision not to have a medical expert or someone from PUK along side you during the interview with Eammon?

all the best
bluey
Hi everyone.
I was in Parkinson's UK office yesterday for a meeting about peer support and another arranging a young persons weekend in October.
Iasked the question

Was the charity asked to be involved IN "THIS MORNING" programme?

Daiga Heister, national education advisor, said she had offered to attend. This Morning had refused. In fact Parkinson's UK have not been involved in these programmes at all.
Research in this area is and has been for some time an important point for the charity. People who atttended our one day young peoples event last year will remember Dr Iracema Leroi talking about OCDetc

I hope this helps
Tina
It was not mentioned to me - would have been nice as I was terrified
Hi Vicki
Daiga was prepared to be there. Did you think to drop them an email asking for Daiga or Kieren to go on with you? I am sure they would have gladly supported you.
I am not being critical..... it takes courage to do what you have done.
take care and I will watch tonight. I miss
Tina
To tell u the truth Tina my head has been in a total spin!
Vicki I don't doubt that for one moment, it must have been very scarey.
keep well
Tina x:grin:
Don't feel on your own Vicki . We will all be watching you We understand and after the programme many many more family , friends etc will have a better understanding ..

Keep going the way you have done so far ..
I send Vicki my congratulations for remaining so cool whilst Eamonn tried to make a big joke of it all, with all his inuendos. You did so well.
Does anyone know how I will be able to watch tonight's programme? I do not have a television and it looks as if channel 4 catch up won't be showing that programme tomorrow as they have not listed it. I can't ask anyone if I can watch it, as I haven't told them I have PD, and they will then get suspicious! Any ideas?
Haven't watched it yet but saw TM and totally agree w everyones comments so far. Well done!
I know exactly what Vicki is going through I am in the same position, diagnosed same year same hospital, after 3 years relatively trouble free a change in medication as dramatically changed both my personality and my behaviours, eventually a few months to late and in a distressed state I spoke to the Parkinsons nurse who immediately stopped me taking the one a day Mirapixin and left me taking Stavello only, after 3 unbearable weeks of massive withdrawal issues I now feel normality is returning but the financial and personal cost as been immense. But also like Vicki I am a fighter and I will get through this, there is always someone worse off.
Having just watched Sex Lies and Parkinson’s I was not surprised in any way as a friend of mine had similar symptoms to Vicki. A few years ago she told her PDNS and he advised a complete change of medication, so she slowly reduced her dopamine agonist Requip/Ropinerol. The programme doesn’t mention any particular drugs Vicki was on, there was nothing to say People with Parkinson’s are all individual and their medication is unique to them . Not all PwP have OCD . No advice was on hand or help lines for those affected. Vicki, well done for putting yourself forward and I hope you get some help to come of these drugs and find suitable alternatives

trek
Have just seen S,L and P.
Well done that girl. I am consumed by admiration at your compelling honesty.

mrs.t.
Ty for lovely comments x had an amazing response - sorry if u didn't like but I kno lots tuned in and at the end of the day it
was about my journey - my views - my life
Awareness is what I wanted ultimately to be raised and I feel mission accomplished!!!
Sorry vicky , cant say i thought program was great but maybe that was fault of program makers not you . But you are very pretty and your family , well they are great , you must be very proud , you and i are probably at opposite ends of scale in how we think/live with it but what anyone does to get through , well it is the right way for them . So well done for making the program .(i am just green with envy as i or a lot of us maybe would like our story of parkinsons on telly.!)
just watched it .well done that lady
vicki,i will say well done for havin the guts to show ur journey with pd in ur life.ur a pretty lady lovin life to the full ,but nowin pd is creepin up on u and i no ur scared.but puttin all that to one side the programme it self did not for me give enough details of wot pd is ,or about the drugs enough ,it not mention one name of das,only showed ur drugs when u was poppin them all the time on the table.i think the programe should of just had more about wot people are like with pd wot it could even end up like with alot of people,ino it showed a lady in black and white shakin all over the place but that was less that 15 seconds and that was it ,nothin else came across to me about pd in it self.i think ur alovley lady and i wish u well vicki like i said u did good to show ur life as it is now ,ihope u can understand were im comin from,not ur fault it was the tv programe there fault how it was presented.:smile:
When the programme finished i was quite depressed , not because of Vicki"s efforts but by the way it was edited , the poor girls was shown to be either drinking ,smoking ,popping pills or shopping, there wasnt enough about her PD symptoms or her neuros comments ,she"s a very courages lady ,who achieved some publisity for us even if the public think were partying all the time ,
We watched it too.I missed the interview during the week.I'm glad that Parkinsons is getting more TV coverage.They could have spent more time on explaining this terrible illness in general.My husband isnt yet on all those tablets and I am very worried about the future and the possible side effects.
Our best wishes to Vicki
hi all and esp vicki!!

just watched the show online 4OD and the this morning interview

http://player.stv.tv/programmes/this-morning/2011-08-10-1030/#

i have had very similar experiences to you vicki esp with the medication (ropinerole 8mg xl x2 and sinemet 62.5x3 per day) having a full on effect on my personality and the spending is a problem too!! but im aware of it as our my family and partner,,, so its good to have people around you who can keep tabs on your behaviour!

i was diagnosed at 30 (32 now) but had it since late 20's just undiagnosed.

lots of my friends and family watched this last night and it's help alot as its difficult to talk about it/be honest, i held off on watching until this morning incase i found it tough viewing but it was great very positive and great for awareness.

and couldnt agree more i cant stand the neurology waiting room at the national hospital in london (i'm in london) it drives me nuts waiting there and often i just get outside and tell the reception to come and find me!! no offence to others on the forum but as a young guy there is nothing worse than seeing an old person with parkinsons!! for me its worse as both my grandfathers had PD and passed it to me (in theory!! thanks for that! Ha)

anyways im rambling great show and congratualtions for putting it PD and yourself out there!!

paul corcoran