Today was a good day

An interesting way of looking at things Hemyock. I hope your tomorrow is better than your today.

Today started not very well with wee nightmares in early hours! So awake and pondering what to do, i started to think about a post I did months ago about my granddaughter and a cardigan. And wrote this poem

There we were at teabreak

Me, with coffee in hand, granddaughter open mouthed, stuffing cake

As she spoke, spitting crumbs and bits of plum!

She made me giggle today,

Asking grandma why does your arm shake that way?

Is it because your incredibly old?

Or are you, very very cold?

I replied, I might well be,

Ill have to think about that, and see.

She jumped off her chair, and ran.

To return, Holding a cardigan

There you go grandma, her face shone with glee

As she wrapped the cardigan around me.

She said, now grandma, as she jumped up playing nosey nosey

you will be all warm and cosy.

The look of happiness on her face was heart breaking,

As she told me “Now your arm will stop shaking!”

So, the doctor tells you, you have Parkinsons

But I do not need an array of medicines.

Just a cardigan, warm and nice,

And everything in my world will be paradise.
:rofl: Esme

3 Likes

Lovely poem, Esme, and lovely granddaughter. X

I remember your mentioning the cardigan Esme because it inspired this verse
Grandma’s Cardi

Parkinson’s is complex
Isn’t that what we’re always told
But a little girl thought differently
When she thought her grandma was cold

You see, she saw grandma’s arm was shaking
So there was only one thing to do
And she fetched grandma’s cardi
To warm her through and through

Wouldn’t that be wonderful
If only that were true
But sadly life’s not like that
Child’s logic seeing things anew

But maybe every now and then
We should look with child-like eyes
And see the simplicity of life
That Parkinson’s wants to despise

For in the simplicity of life
The important things stand tall
Grandma’s cardie won’t stop the shakes
But the love with which it’s given
Says we’re here, we’ll not let you fall.

It’s a good memory and makes this a good day. Thank you Esme
Tot

2 Likes

Today was a good day because after a few days of grey dismal weather, it was
Lumii_20220129_110941735
a bright, sunny if chilly day and a friend and I took a walk along the towpath which was lovely. It doesn’t take much to lift your spirits.
Tot

1 Like

beautiful

Today was a good day because I increased my exercise session from 30 to 45 minutes definitely harder but I did it and I’m delighted

1 Like

Today was a good day because after the storms it looks like Spring is here, the sunshine cheering us all up.
The photo came from a friend in Devon.
Tot

You May recall that back in August my friend fostered Gemma, a deerhound who had been abused in Romania, rescued by an animal charity and brought to the UK. She was badly traumatised and progress has been and is excruciatingly slow, but progress is being made and today was a good day when my friend decided to formally adopt her. Gemma celebrated by snuggling up to her favourite Teddy bear.

Thats brilliant news, one lucky pooch !!

Today was a good day because yesterday I got the PD diagnosis confirmed after the DAT scan etc, but today I found you all!

Even though I have endless fears, questions and “to do” lists and haven’t really yet got to grips with how to use the forum and the many topics, knowing that so many lovely people are “in my corner” helps immensely.

Thank you.

Gill (63)

2 Likes

Hi GillC,
We just wanted to properly welcome you to the forum, and thank you for your thoughtful contribution! You’re most certainly in the right place, among a lovely community of people with Parkinson’s, carers, and family, all of whom have wisdom and support to share. Please be aware of your resources on our website, like this guide for the newly diagnosed, as well as our free and confidential helpline at 0808 800 0303. Our advisers there are happy to answer any questions on your mind.
Warmest wishes and welcome,
Jason
Moderation Team

Hello GillC
We’ve never had anyone post to ‘good day’ the day after getting a diagnosis but it’s quite made my day that your very first post is here. Welcome to the forum, have a look around and ask anything you want, as Jason said you’re not on your own.
Tot

3 Likes

Hi Gillc
Am sure you will find your way around the forum, if I can anyone can ! ha
Esme

2 Likes

Hi GillC, welcome to the forum, i’m sure you will find your way around the forum, you will pick up threads that be of interest to you, the creative corner as this was is always a boost of positivity! Take care :smile:

3 Likes

I’ve had a couple of good days these past few weeks. First I joined an online singing group, sing for fun. It’s a zoom group. Then, after going to my local drop in group I found Trembellows. Another singing group in Summercourt, Cornwall. I can now sing to my hearts content without being judged. It doesn’t matter if you are a bit off, just go for it. Confidence has gone through the roof and I’m getting out more, and I’m learning loads of new songs. Whoopee for me. :musical_score::musical_note::notes:

2 Likes

For as long as I can remember, right from when she was very small, my friend’s daughter’s ambition was to be a doctor. Today was a good day because her ambition was realised - results were out, finals passed and she is indeed now a doctor with very proud parents.

3 Likes

I do try not to take each new for granted but equally I have to live in the real world. The two have collided during the last few days. A close friend is in Australia visiting elderly relatives both of whom in different ways are very unwell. She did not expect it to be an easy trip but it is proving to be an emotional black hole of huge proportions. I do not feel it appropriate to divulge too much, suffice to say today was a good day for reminding me how precious life is and how easily that can change. The sun shone, I am doing ok with my Parkinson’s and I spoke to my friend to do what I could to help when so many miles away all of that makes today a good day and a timely reminder not to take what you have for granted.

2 Likes

Feeling good after a weekend with my children. As teenagers, I thought they might become embarrassed by their hesitant, shaking father. However, even with their own medical challenges, diabetes in one case, cerebral palsy in the other, together the three of us supporting one another drove to an old friend’s wedding and had a wonderful time.

1 Like

Today was a good day because I started my training for my Walk for Parkinson’s sponsored walk in Cardiff. Did about 4.5 of my 5.5 miles. Obviously feeling a bit tired, but at least I’ve given it a go. Let’s see if we can’t increase my distance while reducing the time taken. :man_walking:Best foot forward.

4 Likes